My 5 week old daughter falls asleep great in my arms but once I put her down she up again wide awoke. What can I do to keep her sleep?

newmom20102610

Asked by newmom20102610 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put her in her crib so she will fall asleep on her own. She will learn.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I've also tried her in the crib it seems she can feel when shes not on me
    newmom20102610

Comment by newmom20102610 (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Congratulations!! Get her used to a sleep routine now. We always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Bath (at night), diaper change, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying. When our baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming her lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• A newborn doesn't know how to self-sooth yet. Don't leave her alone to just cry it out!
    Try putting her down just before she falls asleep. You could also swaddle her, it can help her to sleep longer stretches.
    If you are really having a tough time I recommend getting the book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" it has lots of great tips and advice for helping babies and toddlers to sleep.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 4:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I also wanted to mention swaddling. My niece did it with all her babies and it helped them feel secure.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• u should get a swaddle blanket!! the crib is such a big space and she is used to being inside u so the swaddle holds there body close together just like if they were inside u!! walmart carries them!!good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thanks everyone
    newmom20102610

Comment by newmom20102610 (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Get a sling or wrap. It's normal for babies to not want to be put down... it's instinctive. She'll outgrow it. A sling will just allow you to do other things while you hold her.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• She is TOO YOUNG to cry it out. But The Happiest Baby on the Block. It has great techniques for soothing an infant to sleep. But leaving her alone to cry is cruel, especially at such a young age. Any doc will tell you that. Seriously, the book is great. The author, a doc, points out that it is natural for a baby to want to be held... they want to feel like they are still in-utero. Swaddling can help as can making shushing noises and swaying the baby. Wait at least 15 min before putting her down so she is in a deeper state of sleep. Good luck. Mine was like this at first, but he doesn't do it anymore at night. (He still does it at nap time though!)
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 11:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• is this your first baby?
    you have to do what works for you.
    our whole family gets more sleep when our babies sleep in my arms.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010