Stay at home Daughters? Really?

http://www.alternet.org/reproductivejustice/149022/creepy_christian_patriarchy_movement_shackles_daughters_to_their_fathers_and_homes/?page=entire

Thoughts? 

Comments? 

Concerns? 

(Personally, I'm totally creaped out about this concept.)

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 4:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Like I've said before, keep them ignorant and keep them under strict control is the main agenda of religion because then the church has all the money and all the power, and ignorant people don't know they are being used and oppressed.

Works quite nicely in the churches favour.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Gross mischaracterization? Perhaps in your marriage. And if it is, then I will apologize for mischaracterizing YOUR marriage.

However, I grew up with a stepfather who took the words literally. I grew up being told I was "chattel", I was "nothing". And he had complete, autonomous control over, because he was "the man". When my mother stood up & disagreed on the raising of HER child, I saw her get BEATEN for it. REPEATEDLY.

When your mother has to go to the ER because a man told her that her life means "less" because she's "only a woman".

When you're dumb ebough to marry a man whose family would SPIT IN THE FACES of their wives for disagreeing...

When you have nearly been punched in the face yourself for wanting a say in where you live or work...

Then perhaps you can see why my perspective on the issue differs.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• All about control by insecure men.

Abuse too, imho, this leaves marks just not on the outside where CPS can be called...kwim?
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I have no problem with a Classical education. My public school teachers taught me Latin, Greek and German to better understand English eytmology. I also definitely believe a married couple should be there to help and support EACH OTHER.

That said, have a huge problem with ANY group, religious, political, social, racial or otherwise that expects me to take a secondary role in the planning of my own life because of my gender. Nor do I believe leadership ability lies solely in the possession of a pair of testes.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• scary stuff. i think its important for wives to be there for their husbands but its just as important that the husbands be there for their wives. the specific families listed in the article may not be full of abuse but the potential for it is immense. and the idea that a woman is not smart enough or whatever enough to make her own decisions is bunk...its not testicals or a vagina that give one intelligence.

its one thing to agree with the Bible's model for a good marriage, but the article never said a woman is bad for being a SAHM, or that someone needs college to be educated, its just the fact that these women have no control over their own lives that isnt right. God doesnt call women to wait on others hand and foot or have no ideas of their own. you dont have to live in your families home till marriage to learn good house-related skills...and you dont have to forgo your own wants in life to be a good wife/mother.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Sounds like an extreme fringe movement to me. Most christiangirls and women live in a regular community, and know different groups of people. I think people are meant to live in the world not hide away from it, so no I don't agree with keeping daughters at home, and I think the vast majority of christian people agree with me. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Gal, If I'm mischaracterizing the model, it was because it was mischaracterized by someone else, to their advantage. More than once.

As I said before, if it's NOT how YOUR marriage works, then I apologize for any insult to YOUR marriage. I'm glad it works for you.

In my experience, it didn't work, for me. And because it did not work for me in the past, I refuse to do it again.

Plain and simple.

I can admit that my life experience is not the sum of every woman's experience, if you can admit the same.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• BOO!!! It is totally extreme! What a jackwagon...lol
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 5:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• What happens to these uneducated sheltered girls and women when the father or spouse dies or leaves? They are setting themselves up for major hardship in the not-uncommon event there is no one to support them.

If a woman wants this style of life, that should be her choice to live that way.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• That is a gross misinterpretation of God's intent. Women's lives do not hing on a man's every whim. God tells Christian women that we are to be a help-meet to our husband, but it never says we are to be slaves. No man owns me.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 6:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010