stop sunday night dinners

So every Sunday we do dinner at the in-laws (insert fake happy smile). That was all well and good before we had a 1 month old baby and i got to sleep so i wasn't quite so pissy. I am a 1st time mom and dont ooh and ah over my son as much as the MIL and she just annoys the crap out of me. now i am a fan of personal space and don't need a chaperon to change a diaper. The long and the short of it is I want the dinners to stop. Whats the best way to do this with out being the "bitch" that wont let the In-laws see their grandchild?

Emilypit

Asked by Emilypit at 5:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Lol! I got along so much better with my MIL before having kids. My son is six and she still oogles, ahhs and talks stupid baby talk to him!! Drives me up a WALL! She calls him her little 'shnookums' Anyway I would have DH talk to her about maybe making them every other week or monthly. That you want her to be able to spend time with her grandchild but that you having time as a small family bonding with a new child is important to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Maybe just make it a monthy dinner. Tell them it is harder now with children.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 5:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• What if you suggested (or your husband suggested) that you change the dinner to once a month, or twice a month? Things change once babies come and everyone needs to be flexible. Just one idea.............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Maybe tell them that you are exhausted and need a break from the dinners until Jan. That will give you some extra time to get sleep and it isn't forever for the grandparents. You are tired from lack of sleep and still somewhat hormonal.

Or instead of having a chaperon for a diaper change, let MIL do it. I would opt for grandma changing a couple of diapers. She gets to see the baby and you get a minute or two free. Then again, this is coming from someone whose children rarely get to see their grandmothers because one is waiting her turn to die and the other is too selfish and busy.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I agree with the 1st post;; keep it simple.
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It sounds to me like they are just being grandparents. My mom and MIL were the same way when my kids (now 3 and 1) were that little.

You are probably just exhausted and feeling hormonal right now. Tell them you need a break from Sunday dinners for a few weeks and then see how you feel.

I personally think you are over reacting a bit. TRUST ME when I say there could be MUCH WORSE things to deal with on the MIL front. Try having a MIL and SIL tag teamed together hell bent on making you misserable!

Personally I would just see if we could switch to every other week if it really bothers you.

My mom does Sunday dinners normally and I love it! One dinner a week I don't have to cook or work into the budget. LOL.
    Anonymous