Do your kids have Godparents?

I dont know much about Godparents and i plan on looking into it more. I dont really know what it MEANS to be a Godparent. However, it sounds like a cool honor. I'm already naming my baby girl due this March after my best friends little girl that was killed. I'm also considering asking her to be her Godmother.

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 5:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mine do not...... IMO it's more religious custom than anything else. Appointing someone a Godparent wont mean the child goes to them if you die unless you have legal papers filed.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Godparents are just supposed to be there for your kids, watch them grow up. Be there for them if needed. My kids to have godparents, I have not been satisfied though. They haven't heard from them in over a year. If I can't feel like I couldn't do it, I wouldn't say yes. I think alot of people have different definitions though.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 5:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yes, my sons have godparents. It is a tradition that we continued because I was practicing my religion at the time they were born. Godparents are asked to help the parents raise the child in the family's religion.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• No.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• No my children do not have any Godparents
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• In the Catholic faith......our children had to have 2 godparents to get baptized. It means they promise to help the children grow in their faith and of course to take care of them in case of death. It is a great honor :)
    SteelersChick

Answer by SteelersChick at 5:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• None of my 3 kids have them, no.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yes, all my children have Godparents. They are there when the child is baptised & agree to help watch over the child as they grow & encuorage their relationship w/ God. I wish I could "fire" the Godfather of my boys, but knowing all the horrible things this as&hole has done, I think I'll leave him in God's hands. I think it's touching that you are having your friend take on this important role & even naming your dau after hers. You sound like a great friend.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My kids don't because, to me, it's a religious thing and we're atheist. Traditionally godparents were there to make sure the kid got raised in whatever faith they were baptized or dedicated in (whether the parents were alive or dead). We have no religion and no need for godparents. I also don't have any because my parents refused to have me baptized (no matter what my grandmother, a devout Catholic said) because they thought it better that I grow up and decide on my own what religion I wanted to be. I chose none.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My sister and BIL are both of my boys Godparents. We choose them because we knew they would always be important in our children's lives. They will also have custody of our children if something should ever happen to the two of us. By having them become the boys Godparents in the church it just made the bond between them even stronger. My DH and I are also the Godparents to our 4 neices and it is a wonderful honor.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 5:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2010