Photoshopping your child's pictures

If you had professional pictures taken of your child, would you want their picture photoshopped so that the pictures looked as "clean" & "perfect" as possible or would you want to keep little blemishes/birthmarks/bumps and bruises?

What if your child had a lazy eye or a raspberry birthmark on their face, or even braces on their teeth. Would you want that photoshopped out?

Do you think that having "imperfections" photoshopped sends a certain message to your children, that they aren't good enough the way they are?

LittleLiar

Asked by LittleLiar at 5:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• any blemish or imperfection that my child will have for the rest of her life, i would not edit out. if it's just a bruise or something that will go away anyway, yes, i'd edit it out.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• braces in like senior portraits is one thing.......

but especially a birthmark I think paying money to have your childs looks digitally enhanced is beyond creepy.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I've actually had the offer at a photo studio before because my kids (Son especially) is so pale/fair he almost looks sickly looking under harsh lighting. I'd rather have less photos of him than photos of him not looking like his everyday self.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I would not have my child's image photoshopped. They are perfect little beings, down to each weird little freckle. You can't perfect perfection.

Also every little imperfection in a picture stirs a memory. When I was little I used to lick my lower lip and would get a little rash, it drove my mom crazy. Now when she sees those pics she says, you know I forgot you used to do that. Every little blemish tells a story.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I only use Photoshop to enhance the photo as a whole. I do not remove nor add anything to my child's actual face. Airbrushed, braces removed photos aren't true representations of what the child looked like at that age.

Now I have done photos for other people and I do ask if they want certain things removed. Most commonly removed are scratches on a baby's face and temporary tattoos that the child put on before the photo shoot. Those things are reasonable, esp the tattoos.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I've photoshopped out minor scrapes and pimples occasionally but otherwise I like their pictures to be imperfect. It's who they are. I remember spending all this time waiting to take my older son to get his birthday pictures done and he constantly kept getting hurt. Eventually I gave up and he took his picture with a huge scrape and black eye from falling. I also never got the whole taking glasses off for pictures. Especially if you wear them every day. Every picture I have of my middle daughter without her glasses just looks weird.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I will photoshop the pictures I take, but I will also save the originals. For example, one Xmas my oldest son skinned his nose. I had a really wonderful perfect picture of him and I edited out the wound on his nose to make copies of that picture for everyone in my family. I also saved the original though because that's what he looked like on that day and I like both versions of it. I would never edit out something that is a part of my child, like a freckle or mole.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't change the way my child looks in a picture. It's a picture to remember what they look like then. My daughter has a strawberry birthmark on the side of her face and I think editing that out would take away from who she is.
    Now if they are in high school and want to have their blemishes edited I would be okay with that but only if its what they want. I'd leave the braces in the pictures too cause one day they'll be gone too.
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 5:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I don't think my child has imperfections. She is so beautiful just the way she is I don't want to change her aperence. The reason behind taking a for me, is to capture a moment in time, so I can look at it later on and remember the way she was. For example when I look at the photo of my dd when she was first born, there is a large birthmark on her forhead, That's the way she looked when I first saw her that's what I want to remember
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 5:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• The photograph of my child should be exactly who they are, what they look like, and whatever imperfections they have. Whether it's a birth mark, braces, bruise, or a mole. It's who they are at that moment and I want to capture that. I have no qualms about what my child does or doesn't have, because as cheesy as it sounds .. they're my kiddos and they're perfect to me. I know, total hallmark moment, but in reality it's true. I want to capture them for who and what they are at every moment I can.. imperfections or not.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2010