does anyone know how to relief sciatic pain? is there anything i can do?

Ive had this problem for a long time, i had a lot of test done but i dont have insurance anymore. i love to exercise but even regular household shores are a battle cuz the pain is too much sometimes. and the worst part is that its come to affect my appearance. my left leg and buttock are "skinnier" than my right side and being a woman that kills me i feel deformed. nobody notices but me but what if it gets worst??? what can i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Health

• Are you sure it's sciatica? I've had it before, and I went to the chiropractor. A couple of times they connected me to a TENS unit--it send electrical pulses to that muscle, and it worked wonders. NSAIDS help with the inflammation of the nerve--aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen (this is the best for me). I wouldn't recommend an MD--a good chiro should be able to help.
    PurpleAndTeal

Answer by PurpleAndTeal at 9:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• THERE IS A DRUG ON THE MARKET CALLED LYRICA,THAT WORKS GREAT FOR NERVE PAIN.BUT YOU DO HAVE TO HAVE A SCRIP FROM A DR.MY HUSBAND HAS DIABETIC NERVE PAIN AND I HAVE NERVE PAIN FROM BACK INJURIES.IT WORKS WELL FOR BOTH KINDS OF NERVE PAIN.
    mamawmom

Answer by mamawmom at 10:46 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I also have SI issues to due a bulging disc, I take Tramadol but when I don't take it my entire body aches. The pushing, pulling, and lifting are so bad for you, you will probably have to modify your household chores somehow, and be more cautous when exercising. But the one thing I've tried that was Wonderful was a Reiki treatment, I walked out of there pain free and felt like I was intoxicated, I had this silly grin on my face that didn't go away for days!!! You can buy a tens machine thru RS Medical they are pretty pricy but the are very helpful. I have the number if you would like it.
    N2TeazingYou

Answer by N2TeazingYou at 1:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I've had chronic Sciatica from a back injury for 15 yrs. I take one Flexeril (perscription muscle relaxer) each night at bedtime. I am have to be very careful about body mechanics ie: no twisting at the waist, bending knees slightly when lifting etc. If I skip a night the hard pinch starts and then it flares for days to weeks to acute pain. Sciatica is caused by the muscles surrounding the S nerve clenching or spasming down around it. Deep Tissue massgae is a lifesaver for acute Attacks..for me anyway
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• You can try a product called sciatica which is homeopathic from my web store. For my web site e-mail me. I know how painful that can be. Hope I can help you! God Bless!
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 12:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• A back brace, ie lumbar sacral orthosis will take the pressure off the nerve.
    evelyngayle

Answer by evelyngayle at 10:37 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I can fully relate. I have had mine for 10 years! I went to my PT, Chircopractor and later in the end was told one thing, exercise, exercise, exercise! I know what it is like for I use to avoid anything that would cause me pain. I get stared at when I ask for the grocery clerk to pack my food in bags lightly ( I look too young to have it is what I get told a lot!) Anyhow, I now do the following: 1. swim in a warm pool 2 times a week 2. strengthening exercises 3. massages 4. TENS unit 5. heat packs 6. Advil when needed 7.

kimchimom

Answer by kimchimom at 1:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• use my fit ball Go on this website:http://www.losethebackpain.com/images/generic-back-pain-exercises.gif I asked my PT if she noticed patience like me who got better. She said yes but they all did what I am telling you to do, exercise. I am not where I am over night, I am better and now run my own business because....I took baby-steps. Best of everything. I am only 33 and at times I use a walker. So I understand completely!
    kimchimom