If your best friend ended your 10 year friendship because you asked her to address her four year old daughter's disrespectful attitude, is it worth apologizing to save the friendship even though you don't believe you were out of line?

My best friends four year old daughter blatantly is disrepectful, doesn't follow the rules in my house (example: I don't allow children to walk around my house with a cup full of juice, she is aware of this rule, but continuously walks out of the kitchen with her cup in hand to go to the living room and watch t.v. When I ask her to take her cup back to the kitchen table she just stands there looking at me continuing to drink her drink until I physically have to go grab her cup; another example: I ask her to wash her hands after supper because they have food on them & she walks out of the kitchen & wipes her hands on my couch. She also walks away from me when I am talking to her or ask her to do other things. When I told my friend I didn't appreciate her daughtering being disrespectul she stormed out of my house and told me we were no longer friends because I said such a nasty thing about her beautiful daughter.

jlallee3

Asked by jlallee3 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• IMO, Why would you want to? She's waiting for you to do that so she doesn't have to address the issue. It's not your problem. That is not a true friend.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It doesn't get any simpler than this...F*CK HER!!!
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 6:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• agreed. I mean a true friend would rather hear it from you then from someone else.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• i wouldnt apologize you havent done anything wrong, your friend here hasnt taught her daughter to be respectful of other people's rules, your friend may tolerate this behaviour at home, but im like you i would not tolerate it, you werent being nasty or offensive in anyway you was just asking her to tell her daughter to listen to what you say
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 6:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Why wasn't her mother disciplining her in your home? I'm not sure about this one...I'm not so sure I'd be that forceful with someone else's child and I most CERTAINLY would care enough about my BFF than to criticize her child.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:04 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You weren't out of line, but it could've been handled differently on both sides. I think you should talk to your friend and let her know how you feel about her daughter, but that you would like her to follow the rules while at your home. Then go from there. That's if you want to continue the friendship.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I would apologize not because I was in the wrong but for the sake of the friendship.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Absolutely not! A true friend should not let his or her children disrespect any friends. I know with my son, I am very adamant that he behaves in public and has a good attitude towards anyone. However, I would be upset that I would have to ask my friend to step in.
    night__wolf_

Answer by night__wolf_ at 6:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I've learned that it takes someone from the outside looking in to see the flaws. So you were right and she needs to reevaluate herself.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 6:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I geuss it really depends on how you told this to your friend and exactly what you said. If you were less than tactful then you might want to apologize for the way in which you broke the news to her. Most moms feel very protective of their children and it hurts to hear that your child is less than perfect even if you know it.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:13 PM on Nov. 30, 2010