Should I be a spanker of not?

Geusheez

Asked by Geusheez at 6:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think if you're kids are in the 9-12 age group, you should probably have already made that decision, they're getting a little old for spankings anyway.

To spank or not is a very personal decision. I don't have a serious problem with people who spank they're kids on the bottom, but I've never been able to hit my kids myself. Mine are grown now, and it just wasn't something I could do, but no one can make that decision for you.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• depends on what they do wrong, i do believe children that do naughty things need to be punished i was spanked as a child n did me the world of good
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 6:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• totally up to you...and your child... different kids respond to different things. If you choose to spank or not spank ,make sure you have read up and are educated in your choice as a discipline method. there are 'right' and 'wrong' ways to do it both ways.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• No

Answer by admckenzie at 6:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It's cuz Im about to be a new mom and am totally wondering about this?
    Geusheez

Comment by Geusheez (original poster) at 6:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Since I don't believe in spanking the answer is no.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Read a lot of books on both methods. Take what you like form each book and disregard the parts you don't. You will have a little trial and error but in the end you will take a bit of info from here and there and eventually have you own personal discipline method. Whether or not it includes spanking is up to you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Are you between the ages of 9-12?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Beings you posted this in the 9-12 year old category, I would say it's kinda too late to change your discipline method now.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Take a few parenting classes with your husband, and decide together how you'd like to discipline your child. I took a class when my first born was 9 months old, and it was one of the best things I ever did. I learned to use logical consequences for their actions, and it's worked pretty well for us. I'm not a perfect mom, but I've done my best. My husband really wasn't a spanker either. Neither one of us liked the idea of hitting our children.

Congratulations, and good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2010