How strict are you? How strict do you think is too strict? adult content

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 6:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• are you talking like discipline, punishment?

I vary, a lot. And my kids are starting to take advantage. Then I lose my temper and blow up..... we're tying to keep structure and boundaries but it's a work in progress. In general we're pretty strict, have high expectations. We've begun cracking down on things alot more. Last month my son broke a very expensive toy after being shown repeatedly how to care for it gently. His birthday was 2 weeks later and he was shocked to see only books, clothes, etc and no real TOY toys. And my daughter lost her restaurant manners on a recent outing and her Polar Express ticket was then given to a friend. No nonsense, high expectations.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'm not real strict.  There's some wiggle room.  I do occassionally lose my temper like tonight when my daughter took her glasses off and then refused to look for them when she hid them so she wouldn't have to wear them.  She knows that her new glasses aren't coming for a while.  Sometimes little things like that make me so mad.

leomommy1325

Answer by leomommy1325 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I will take away privileges or send him to his room if he needs to cool off, since he gets offended by that and realizes that something was done wrong. I hate the thought of kids being spanked, and I don't like if people scream at kids.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 6:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• We are pretty strict with high expectations as well. I have raised a very well mannered and thoughtful child thus far. I will punish when she needs punishing and if I lose my cool Dad takes over and vice versa.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• We are strict, always have been and we have nice, personable, well mannered children. My kids know there is no room for bs in our house and they so rarely push it, I don't have to enforce anything. If I ask, they do and they are okay with it. Too strict? Hmmmm. I suppose encroaching on their freedom totally, belittling, condescension, being mean, taking away everything. That said, I have youngish kids still (7, 8).
    Anonymous

• I'm not very strict. My kids know the rules and what will happen if they don't follow them. One thing I believe in is positive reninforcement, instead of always punishing so that is basically what we have done with our kids since they were little. I works for us.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 2:18 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I try not to be too strict, but sometimes you have to be.. IMHO too strict is not letting a child expirience his/her natural adventure side.. =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 4:43 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i tend to be pretty strict and have high expectations of my children. we are starting to see that it makes a difference. for instance, our son is very well behaved at his scout meetings, where other boys run around like a bunch of animals.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:03 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Well, I'm strict about the few rules we have, if that makes sense. We don't have a lot of rules, we are very "free range" with our kids, but when we lay a rule down, we expect it to be followed...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• We are strict about some things and lenient about others. We give our kids a good deal of freedom and choices, and if they come to us respectfully to discuss changes in the household rules or routines we are willing to hear them out and sometimes willing to revise the policy. However, we do have high standards in a lot of areas and expect our kids to live up to them, we have consequences if they do not follow the house rules, and we expect them to do as they are told without arguing or talking back.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2010