Hi! Glad to have joined Cafemom!

My mother in law recently moved in...need i say more!!!! Help!!! I work from home so i see her from morning til night! She's around my husband constantly, he thinks it's the coolest thing on earth...I feel she's medling to much!!! She doesn't work, and never goes out. Any suggestions?? Be as frank as you want :)

sherry6868

Asked by sherry6868 at 6:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• lock yourself in your office! lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• ah well I am sorry to hear that. Why did she move in anyways?? Was there no other option? Is she in for good? or just temporary? Talk to you husband about it, how it borders you so you can find a solution together. You grown ups who need there own space from time to time.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 6:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• @ butterfly then she probably comes knocking....
    LittleBirdFly

• Welcome aboard! be a smart woman and keep it civil with dear MIL.

Answer by older at 6:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Get her involved in a community center where she can be around others her age or what about a church group...volunteering? i would definitely get her involved with something at least 2 days a week.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 7:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• omg your life sounds excately like mine lol.. if you find a good suggestion please let me know,, as ive been going threw this for 5 yrs..
    mommyny6

Answer by mommyny6 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• What does she do that you consider "meddling". Have you talked to her about how you feel, and that you need some space?
    tndsmomma28

Answer by tndsmomma28 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Maybe see if she wants to join a senior citzens group so she can get out meet knew friends and have some activities. good luck!
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 8:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Welcome to the club!! LOL
    I live with my MIL too. Only thing is I have the basement apartment and she lives in the house upstairs. We moved in to help her out with bills after her DH died of brain cancer. She couldn't pay the bills on her own so DH wanted us to move in since we were renting anyway. He didn't want her to lose her home of almost 40 years after losing her husband.
    ANYWAY, keep it civil!! Try to avoid arguments at all cost. She does something or says something to annoy you try your hardest to ignore her.Don't let her drag you into any drama. It's what I do. My MIL loves to start things and loves the drama of people fighting. I talk to her but keep it general. I listen to what she has to say but try to avoid responding to some things so that she can't go tell anyone that I said something.
    Good Luck!!
    Jessica45

Answer by Jessica45 at 10:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I would have DH show her around the community. I would get a paper that showed a listing of all the upcoming events in the local area and try to get her involved in them. Hopefully, she realizes--or will soon--that she cannot be the maternal head of the household. How long has she been living with you? Maybe if she's around long enough, it will wear on your hubby if she is meddling and maybe he will begin to understand how you feel? Good luck!
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 11:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2010