Santa Myths & Reality...

Not a debate about whether or not to tell children about Santa... I'm just looking for information about where these stories came from - myths, realities, stories and religious connections...

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It has basically been traced back to Saint Nicholas, a monk in Turkey. This ::LINK:: is a great article!

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I made up all my stuff from random info I gathered over the years. We add new stuff every year just to keep it magical.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think it would be really interesting to find out how our ancestors celebrated Christmas. I am going to have to start with my parents... Everyone on here has got me thinking about it. I never really gave it much thought until I came to Cafemom.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If you think about it, American christmas is a mix of all the cultures and customs that came to our country. The christmas tree has its beginnings in Germany, Saint Nicholas, Sinter Klaus, or Santa as we know him, has a history in most European and Nordic countries. The Dutch left their shoes outside to be filled with treats. So we have all these wonderful blended traditions that became American christmas!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• The original story goes back to Norse sagas and Odin's Great Hunt. His 8 legged horse, Sleipnir transformed into 8 reindeer over time. Odin flew over judging who was good and who was bad. Those who were bad didn't survive the night. Children left grass and hay for Sleipnir, and Odin left them gifts to reward them. As Christians invaded Northern Europe and corrupted the faith, the Great Hunt was practiced behind closed doors, Yule trees were hidden inside the house so Christians wouldn't see them and kill the family for having one. Over centuries, the story of Kris Kringle came along, and people began adopting the idea of Santa Claus. The church encouraged it as one more way of corrupting the native faith and turning their holiday into a Christian one.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• wow i never heard any of these tales before
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 9:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I never heard of Odin but I knew about St Nicholas.
    mommywho28

Answer by mommywho28 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• He was a real man and a monk his parents died when he was little he is from turky his name is chris kringle you can google search him and read more about his life and his walk with christ
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2010