First Period after giving birth.

So I just got my first period since giving birth & it is very very heavy & I got the worst cramps I have ever gotten in my life they were really bad and along with that i started feeling nauseous. I was just wondering if this normal or if anyone has experienced this before??

CassieM2B

Asked by CassieM2B at 7:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have, it is normal.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 7:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Sounds about right. It will take time for your body to go back to normal.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• when did you deliver?

if it was less then 45 days ago you need to go see your gyn for an US they may have missed a piece of your placenta and if youre going thru more then 1 regular pad an hour you should go to the ER
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Sounds normal to me
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• keep a fever watch, just in case.

make sure you're wearing pads so u can better monitor the qty, color, flow, consistency, etc etc so you'll have answers if you DO have to hit the ER.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My first period came late, 15 months, and it was a doozy like you are describing. I thought cramps were bad before but, oh my, was I in some serious pain and heavy didn't even describe it all. Things do go back to normal in a few months.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 7:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• yep...same thing is happening to me...im going on my 4th or 5th one after birth and its still really bad...not as bad as that first one tho! hope you feel better soon!
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I was just going to ask the same question!!! I just started since giving birth almost 8 months ago(almost 17 months since my last period) and this one is like NO other I hav eever experienced! I've been miserable not want ing to move bc it is sooo heavy I'm feeling like i did when my water broke! I've been taking advil for the cramps but its not helping much.
    AND I was wondering how long does this last I read it can last up to a month?! YUCK!
    LadyofIvory

Answer by LadyofIvory at 12:33 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I think my first was actually a lot easier than my normal ones. I did bleed a little longer than usual, though. I think it's normal, though. Most of my mom friends complained about their first two or three being like that. Maybe I just got lucky because my regular periods were worse than my labor lol.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:19 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I got my first PP period at 17 months PP and it was 7 straight days of the WORST period...heavy, horrible cramps, exhausted...I was BEAT. They became more and more regular as time went on but that first one...man, it made up for lost time! haha.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 4:23 AM on Dec. 1, 2010