What kind of activities do you do with your 3 yr old when its rainy outside?

I have a very energetic 3 year old, we play outside all the time (if it's too cold for the baby I wait til she's napping). Now it's supposed to rain and be gross and I'm looking for some new.good/different indoor activities to get his energy out. We have a huge basement that we "bowl" or kick a ball around in. we also have a big playroom that is filled with toys. any ideas of how I can tire him out???

OBImomma

Asked by OBImomma at 7:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's not as active as others, but you can drape blankets over a table and have a "clubhouse" underneath
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:50 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• my 3 year old loves hide and seak.
    mommyof2bbys

Answer by mommyof2bbys at 7:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• hopscotch, tumbling/somersaults, musical chairs, dance contest, bunny hop contest, see how many jumping jacks can be done in 60 seconds
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• play ring round the rosy and other games that will make him move and burn energy
    tld1221

Answer by tld1221 at 7:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• When my son was younger rainy days would be for those items that I kept up and away just for bad weather days like, playdoh...water table, rice and bean bucket, sponge painting, and cooking. I would let him do all the measuring and stirring. I kind of made a science project out of cooking.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 7:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• do an exercise video together
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Get outside!
    ;-D
    Go out in the cold.
    Wear plenty of layers and rain gear and go to the park. You can collect leaves and cones and see all you can. There are games to play outdoors, too. Walk to a friend's house for a playdate or library for storytime.
    When you come in you can have hot cocoa or tea and do a baking project together~ especially kneading & rolling dough!
    Art projects to put up winter decorations around the house or make homemade holiday gifts. That can add up to several short sessions~
    I can think of tons of stuff.
    But just be sure to get out in all kinds of weather, if possible, even for just 10 minutes~

:-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• we have a game called Animal Scramble for my 3 year old. Basically you have 4 animal targets and 1 animal tagger and you run around finding/tagging the targets you are told to. it has 4 games with 5 levels each so it can grow with your child. Oh it keeps track of the time so you can race to do it faster. If you have large areas you can make a great area to run around in. I also set it up in our upstairs (playroom, hallway, & children bedrooms) while I'm changing/dressing my 10 month old or doing light house work so my 3 year old is busy.  They have either the animal versionat Walmart or a Toy Story version.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• We play pirates.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Why does the fact that its raining matter? Kids love to play in the rain and you should allow them to do so. In fact go play in the mud with them then you can shower together after. With a 3 year old its a great thing to do.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 6:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2010