Spinoff my own Godparent question. What do you think?

I'm considering asking my best friend to be my daughters Godmother. My little girl will be named after my best friends daughter that passed away a year ago also. She lives in CA and i live in ID (possibly ND soon) and we'll probably never live in the same state again, as much as i'd love her to be a daily part of my kids' lives and religious upbringing. My question is, does it seem pointless to ask her to be the Godmother even though she wont be around my kids that much, or would you be honored to be asked in the same situation?

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 7:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• You can still be a part of a Godchild's life even if you don't live in the same city. A Godparent can pray everyday for their child and send gifts for baptismal anniversaries or other important religious events (like first communion). With Skype and all the new technology your child can talk face to face every night if she wanted to!
    I think you should ask her.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 7:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My Godchildren live in Japan and don't even speak English.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 7:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'd be honored to be asked. It's a lovely idea.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Nice to ask a friend but what happens if in 10 years for some reason you no longer are speaking to her? For this reason I stick to family for god parents
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010