how do I get my 9 yr old son who has adha to clean his room

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Take everything that he enjoys away and tell him that he doesn't get them back until he cleans the room to your standards. No tv, no computer no toys, no music, what ever he enjoys he doesn't get. I'm assuming that is ADHD? if so that doesn't give him an excuse not to clean the room. Just be the adult, the parent, and make him clean his room.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 7:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Get a timer. Set it for ten minutes and work with him for that ten minutes. Do as much as you can or focus on a specific. Do this three or four times a day until it is cleaned.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Do NOT take everything away from him. He needs to have the task broken into smaller tasks that are easier for him to accomplish. Tell him to put his dirty clothes in the hamper. When that is done, then have him pick up all the garbage and put in a bag. Then when that is done, have him put his toys away. Etc. It will take longer but kids with ADHD cannot accomplish large tasks at one time. They do much better with smaller tasks that they can accomplish. Taking everything away from someone who cannot concentrate long enough to do a large tasks is just mean.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• tyfry7496, you have to break it down for him. My little brother has it and I make a list for him to check off as he does like Make bed, pick up clothes, pick up toys, ect
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My sister taught me how to clean up. I swear I have adhd. She said one job at a time. All the clothes in the hamper, then put all the shoes away. It works for me. Try one job at a time.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2010