How do I keep my 2 year old hydrated if he's already drinking constantly?

My son was tested today for a UTI...came back negative thank god, but his urine was very yellow. He already drinks constantly, water,juice,Gatorade..some koolaid...the doc said we have to force fluids on him. How do you force a child who already gets tons of liquids? He has been seeing like once a day..once at night. Yet he's obviously dehydrated..he runs fevers at night, not that high but I can't think of anything else as to where the fluid is going...please someone...any ideas?

Sexymama1929

Asked by Sexymama1929 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First off don't force to much liquid it isn't good.. Second let him drink more water and cranberry grape juice. His yellow urine could be he has to much sugar from all the juice. Cranberry helps the kidneys and its not too sweeet..
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 7:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• More water less other drinks. Every couple of hours get a juise glass, fill it with water and tell him he has to drink all of it. Make him drink tell he wont drink any more.
    Maybe he is just sipping drinks all day but not really drinking enough to keep him hydrated.

Answer by louise2 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• More water. Waaaay less of the others. Maybe 1-3 glass of juice a day max Gatorade actually makes my kids pee funny so I don't let them have it . My kids love cranberry juice (100%) but they have cran-grape too that is sweeter. Cranberry juice is super good for the kidneys so try that instead.
    Get him a water bottle and keep it filled so you can get an accurate count of how much he does drink for if you have to go back to the dr. you can say he drinks this bottle dry x times a day + he drinks ______. Also the bottles are fun, easy to carry around and if you do 2 or 3, keep 1 frozen, when defrosting, and 1 drinking and cylce them.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Push water and not the other stuff. If he is still having the same issues after a week of water and few other liquids then go back to the doc and talk to him. What do you mean by constantly? I would get a gallon jug and fill it with water then pour is water from there every day so you have a clear idea of how much water he is truly drinking every day.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Water or cranberry juice mixed with water. Nothing else.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 8:01 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• He drinks water the most, out of the drinks I mentioned. And by constantly, I mean I fill his 8oz sippy cup with water, and he's back within 15 minutes wanting more...
    Sexymama1929

Comment by Sexymama1929 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You could try giving him pedialight. Whenever one of my boys gets dehydrated, that's what i give them & they are fine afterwards.
    mommaof04kids

Answer by mommaof04kids at 11:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Have you had him tested for type 1 diabetes? If hes going thru a sippy cup in 15min wanting more... ie non quenchable thirst it should be checked out.

Juices, gatorade etc should not be given daily. I think the recommended amount of juice per day is 4 oz for a 2 year old. I could be wrong. I would do gatorade/powerade/pedialyte ONLY when dehydrated for the electrolytes only.
    ballerina.2006

Answer by ballerina.2006 at 3:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I agree with ballerina. The first thing that came to my mind was diabetes. And gatorade should not be given to toddlers. Just an FYI.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 9:35 AM on Dec. 1, 2010