Alternative meal for Thanksgiving?

This year we can not afford to buy a turkey or a ham to cook for Thanksgiving. Does anyone have a suggestion for a very cheap holiday meal to make? I need the whole meal to cost under $10 and feed 8.

I can not get assistance from our local emergency food bank until the 1st of December. Our emergency food bank only allows you to receive food once every three months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I have seen some canned hams for around $6, maybe that and rolls, or turkey flavored stuffing with mashed potatos and rolls. You can check the bakery/deli section of the market sometimes they have day old bread for reduced costs, and its still soft. The 99 cent store usually has bags of potatos, so you can make homemade mashed potatos, they also have stuffing mix and other stuff, you can stretch your dollars there.
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 6:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Do you go and eat with family? Mabe that would be the best way to go..And spend the $10.00 on a dish to bring....DO you have Foodstamp assistance ? You should go to your local Job and Family service and apply.
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 6:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Meatballs with beef gravy in a crock pot with mashed potatoes stuffing and corn bread. You could also look in to local (or not so local if necessary) churches that provide help with food. walmart clearances out bakery stuff around 5am so if yuo get there at 6 you might find some pies or cakes or something for dirt cheap
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Thank you for the wonderful suggestions!

The family we have close by is my disabled mother and my 22 year old brother in law. Both were expecting us to do the traditional dinner at our house.

We do not qualify for food stamps because they calculate child support that doesn't always come and when it does it isn't for the amount ordered. My husband went to our church and asked for help but he was told that they don't have the funding.

This are so rough times for my family and many other families. It is becoming harder and harder for those that really need the help to get it. Every place we have gone for help we have been turned away. I am so discouraged!

Anonymous

• try branching out in the church search. I go to a church food pantry once a month or less (because we usually can get most groceries on our own) that is 70 miles away round trip.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Lasagna is filling and YUMMY!!! There is no right or wrong on Thanksgiving just that your family is all together. Also is the 8 people other family that could make and bring something? that's what we do in my hubbies family. I'm on the Potatoes and hubby is making a dessert:) YUMMY!!! If everyone brings one thing you could do a ham. They usually go on sale as it gets closer to the holidays too. GOOD LUCK!!!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 7:59 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Again, thanks for all the wonderful suggestions.

My husband and I have been brainstorming like crazy. Finally, we decided what we could afford to do. Here is our plan: baked potatoes, frozen broccoli, shredded cheese, and homemade rolls. If my mother or BIL come over I will ask them to bring a dessert if they can afford it. With my mother and BIL we will have 10 people to feed. I think baked potatoes will feed us all for under $10.
    Anonymous

• I wish you all the best; times are hard for alot of people right now. My friend's family makes a huge pot of gumbo for the holidays. It is really cheap, filling and goes a long way. You are in my prayers.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 3:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2008