Why is it...

When ONE Christian Radical Group or Person acts out in the name of their beliefs Christians scream "They aren't like us, they aren't Christian" or something similar because they don't want to be lumped together with the lunatic, but then when ONE Non-Christian Radical Group or Person acts out, whether they are doing so in the name of their beliefs or not, they are used as an example as to why you should stay away from those belief systems as a whole?

**I'm sure this is going to seem like an attack post, and in some ways I guess it could easily be so, but in fact that's not how it's meant. Instead I mean it simply to be a question of why the "majority" jump to separate themselves from their own flaws yet they can not seem to understand that other belief systems or movements have the same radicals and extremest in their groups that the "majority" does...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Have you never heard the term 'Majority Rules'?

They, in their infinite wisdom, holiness, and renowned moral aptitude *snark* have devised a plan in which not only can they separate the majority crazies from the herd, but place blame on the minority FOR its crazies. Have cake, eat it too.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Because they are too closed minded. IDK. This is one reason I disagree with organized religion in general. I feel that most religions that do believe in a higher power all worship the same thing just in different ways.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It just what people do... Its human nature to group people and down them for one action im sure everyone did it atleast once growing up
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 8:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• because either statement comes from opposing sides. take muslims and muslim extremists, for example. one muslim extremist group can do terroristic activity, and every strikes back saying, ''but not all muslims are that way. islam is a peaceful religion.''..yet, someone who disagrees islam is peaceful, will say all muslims are extremists. 'same difference', different religion.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• in other words, as has been stated numerous times..its not only xtian groups that do these 'extreme things'. extremism is a different enchilada in itself. extremism isn't only applied because of religious faiths.

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• there are stereo types that are true.. look bottom line is this when you here someone killed an abortion DOcotor everyone thinks "radical Christian"
    when you read about weird rituals everyone thinks "atheists"
    and when you here about a terrorist attack everyone thinks"Muslim"

but it is no different then when you want good Pizza you go to the Italian pizza place
    or when you want fresh salsa you go to the Mexican place
    Its just the way it is
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I can only answer this question from a non-Christian view point. And from the viewpoint of someone who was both raised in a religion that is not a "major"/prominent religion that many are very unfamiliar with, as well as being married into a family that's religion fits the same bill.

When you have a majority religion in a country, in this case Christianity.. And then add in that many in that majority have little: knowledge, experience, interaction, or understanding in regards to other religions... When a person/groups of one of these other religions that is (for lack of a better term) unknown, it is very easy for that majority to believe/feel/be concerned that most if not all members of that in that religion share the same belief/view point.

My husband is Sikh. There were members of the Sikh community killed after 9/11 because some did not know the different between a Sikh & a Muslim.

Cont.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 8:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It's human nature to distance onself from trouble. It happens on here all the time.
    Anonymous

• Well, this came out of the statement, which I read YET AGAIN today, that "Muslims attacked us on 9/11" combined with some of those rather outrageously unloving and rather "unChristian" billboards in the previous post (plus the actions of groups like WBC and some of the comments I've seen Christians make about them). Now, I don't believe that Christians are wrong or bad, so please don't take it that way. I believe that like every group there are crazies mixed in to a much larger group of decent people... But of course as with anything, we only hear about the crazies... What upsets me is that when there are crazies mixed in with the majority they are seen as just that - Extremists and Nutcases... However, when those crazies are mixed in with groups outside the "norm" they are shown as an example of how that group believes or acts rather than as what they are - Extremist and Nutcases...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• So The Sikh community suffered violence because of some people's lack of knowledge/understanding of a different religion.

How many people in this country are afraid (literally afraid) of Muslims? How many Americans knew very little about Islam/Muslims before 9/11? How many (and I've seen some admit to this right here on CM) know nothing of Islam/Muslims to the point of having never heard of the 2?

For people who know very little or nothing outside of Christianity, I can see how easy it would be to lump all the rest of us together due to the acts of only a few. Only because I can understand that humans are human and fear of the unknown is really part of human nature. My understanding is not me being "okay" with everyone being lumped together, or all being viewed by the lense created by the few. I'm not okay with it. However, ok with it or not, I am at least accepting of my fellow man enough to try to understand.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 8:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2010