Question about pumping

I have not yet had my child, but I read somewhere that you should practice pumping before baby gets here. I am producing colustrum right now. I was just wondering because some people say that you should practice to get it down before baby. SO, is this right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• NO, Save the colostrum for baby, It has very important antibodies in it and that is why you make it first..So please wait for baby to get her berfore pumping! Breast Is Best!! Good Luck
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 6:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I never tried out my pump before I had my son. That is just silly.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• No no no. No pumping now. And no touching the pump for the first six weeks unless you're going back to work at that point.

Leave the pumping for later. Just nurse the baby.

Pick up a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro. It covers a lot of ground for new breastfeeders.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• In my opinion....you don't want to start pumping before your baby comes. The more you pump, the more milk you will produce. Colustrum starts producing differently for every person. If you are worried about breastfeeding or want comfort....seek out a lactation consultant; your doctor should have info on this. If you start pumping and producing milk before your baby is here, your baby will not get your colustrum...which is very important for your baby. Hope this helps.....good luck! :~)
    BabyFactory02

Answer by BabyFactory02 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• wow! you guys need to chill out
    Anonymous

• they covered everything
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 6:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Question asker here!- so, I am already leaking colustrum. Will I keep producing it until after baby is born?
    Newbeemom224

Answer by Newbeemom224 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Yes you keep producing colostrum up until baby is born. No you shouldn't pump because it releases pitocin which can put you into premature labor.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2008