im OBSESSED with the thought that a stomach bug or something equally horrific is going to happen to me or my daughter...

i see my friends posting that their kids had it or that my friends have had it....i guess its a fall/winter thing that just happens....but i am so OBSESSED and worried about it....it is occupying my thoughts for the majority of the day...its giving me panic attacks...every tiny feeling i feel in my stomach makes me POSITIVE im about to be deathly ill and puking and pooping everywhere for the next 24 hrs....what do i do???? do i need counseling or something??? my daughter (5 mos) faught her sleep tonight for about a half hr...was arching her back etc and i was SURE thats something terrible was wrong and that we would be up all night...why am i so EXTREMELY OBSESSED with the fear of getting sick??? or my dd getting sick

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 8:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Health

• Um, yes, you're probably needing to talk to a doctor. Your kinda OCD here.
    Anonymous

• horrific? a stomach bug?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• i have no idea why you're so obsessed about it....that is something you're going to have to figure out (probably with the help of a psychiatrist). but my thing is this: if it happens, it happens. it's over in a couple of days, and if you drink gatorade (or pedialyte for your daughter), then you'll be fine. just wash your hands and lysol the toilet, doorknobs, toys, etc. at the end of the day to prevent giving it to yourself again that way. it's not a big deal.....everyone gets sick once in a while.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I went through this when one of my children was a baby... in my case I was phobic about the flu and it really occupied my thoughts and made my life very miserable. In my case, it was a symptom of post-partum depression. I have a history of depression/anxiety anyhow, and being responsible for a child (or multiple children!) coupled with hormonal changes really caused my anxiety to go into overdrive. Honestly, I would speak to your doctor about this being a potential sign of a problem because, while it's normal to hope your kids don't get sick, obsessing to the point that it interferes with your daily life is not. Hope you are able to find something that works- it's hard to live with anxiety, I know because I have been there!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Have you never had a stomach bug before? It's not the end of the world if you do get sick, and it's not the end of the world if your baby gets sick. You'll drink lots of water to stay hydrated, you'll offer your baby the breast or bottle often to keep her hydrated or use pedialyte. Calm down, you'll stress yourself into getting sick at this rate. Just try to relax about it, use good hygiene practices, do your best to avoid germs and sick people ... and in the end if you get sick, you get sick. There are much worse things than a stomach bug. Certainly I wouldn't call it horrific.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• take probiotics if you are that worried......my daughter and I take PB8, the stomach bugs have been going thru our area and we havent caught it yet.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2010