How am I going to breastfeed if....

right after birth I will either have a vaginal hysterectomy or a regular one?(which if doctor decides this way then baby will be born by c section

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had my tubes ties after my baby was born (c-section). I talked to the nurses before had and we discussed that DD was NOT to receive a bottle unless her blood sugar dropped. It was fine and I was nursing her with in an hour of birth.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thanks, I will sure talk to them unless something happens that I can't.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• i'm not following your question...... it's not a big deal to bf after a c-section (a traditional hysterectomy would be a similar situation), you just have to stay in bed the first day. maybe you mean will your body produce milk because of the hysterectomy? it should not be a problem if you still have one or both ovaries. that is where the hormones are made, nothing to do with the uterus itself. if you are getting a radical hysterectomy done where they take the uterus and the ovaries too, i would ask your ob. it may not be possible then (or they might have a medicine for that, i have no idea lol). but gl and hope everything goes well.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• When you pre-register, you can discuss it with them at that point, and it will be entered on your records. Then make sure that whoever is in delivery with you knows of your wishes, so they can make sure they are followed.
    xv35ballx

Answer by xv35ballx at 9:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010