Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

does your baby have to be six months old or older to file them on your taxes?

A women and I got into a discussion over taxes today, because our friend is having a baby and due on dec 31st, making a joke, I told her to do everything in her power to push that baby out before midnight on her due date.
Her friend than said you had to have a child for more than 6 months of the year to qualify to file them with your taxes.
I filed my son last year, when he was bearly 4 months old, my sister did the same, for her 2 month old son, and neither her or I got into any trouble, yet this women claime she had her baby dec 22nd last year, and filed, and got a 5K penelty for filing before the child in question was 6 months of age.
does anyone know the laws reguarding filing for a new baby?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (13)
  • No. All your baby needs is a social security number.

    Answer by UpSheRises at 9:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • Nope, alive one minute of 2010 and you can claim them for the entire year. Happy Filing!

    Answer by dancinintherain at 9:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • the baby you are claiming just has to have been born before the end of the tax yr you are filing for

    Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • All they have to be is born by December 31st.

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • i do know if you have joint custody you have to have the kid for more than 6 months out of the year to claim them on your taxes. you can add a baby whenever they are born i'm pretty sure. we've been audited like amillion times and THAT was never an issue lol

    Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • yes if they are born before the new year you can file. I had my youngest dd January 11th so they said we couldn't add her that year she is 3 now. They said if she was born December 31st we would had been able to do it.

    Answer by mommy5409 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • I agree with you, as long as they are born prior to the stroke of midnight.
    Years ago our 2 month old died and we were told to claim him for the year.

    Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • I was thinking that as long as that child was born during this year, you can claim them.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • Nope. As long as they are born within the year they are able to be claimed!

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • As long as they were born in the year you are filing for and you have a social security number you can claim them, I don't know what she is talking about, maybe she did something else and got fined and doesen't really understand what for or something....


    Answer by sheloveearth at 9:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.