I had to put my dog to sleep today...

he has been living with cancer for quite a while and it was time. My question is...how do I help his sister deal with it? We've had them both since they were 10 weeks old. They are almost 7. she seems so sad.

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 9:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Pets

• So sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is one of the hardest parts of life to deal with. Doesn't make it any easier to see the other pet that you love feeling your same pain. Just spend some extra time with her and do your best to comfort her. Will just take some time for the both of you.
    Link1215

Answer by Link1215 at 10:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• so sorry to hear
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 9:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• aww, sorry to hear that. she will be sad for quite a while. i just try to comfort them, and eventually i get them a new buddy that will not replace the one that has passed, but it does make them feel a little better. when though depends on both you and her....you might want to wait a year or so unless she seems really lonely in the meantime.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• ohh so sorry, that happend with when i was younger, except i had two cats, bro and sis. she died first. he was so sad for a long time after. it broke my heart to see him so sad, all u can do is comfort them like you would a person, plenty of cuddles and affection.goodluck
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 9:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• allow her to sniff him (if possible) and i think they know they are dead. Just give her lots of love and take her everywhere possible. dont leave her allone. I am so sorry for your loss
    armywife117

Answer by armywife117 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'm sorry:( IDK, all I can suggest is to wait a bit, let her grieve and miss him. And you grieve, too. Then, when you are ready, take her to a shelter and let her pick out a new friend. If you let her pick a new one out, she will do better then if you pick one out and bring him/her home.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• We had sisters and one passed. The other grieved for her so much. I'm not sure how to help your sibling. We just gave her extra love. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• So sorry to hear about your little sweetheart. Just be there for them, talk to them, maybe take a couple extra walks, or better yet......how about a dog park? I live near one and watching the dogs play.......they look like they are having fun with other dogs, running around and playing catch with the ball!!
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 7:39 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Oh bummer. Such a good question. I don't know but hopefully someone may have an idea. Also, call a vet and talk to the tech who may have some insight.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Share your grief and share hers.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2010