Breastfeeding....ways to make your milk come in?

My milk isn't in and I had my son Saturday. He has lost a pound and the Dr. wants to keep an eye on his weight loss. If he doesn't gain before the end of this week, the Dr. said we have to talk about formula feeding. I really want to breastfeed. Is there anything I can try to get my milk to come in? Any advice?? My son already eats about every hour or two and I am feeding him when he wants it to try to get the flow going.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son lost a pound before we left the hospital (3 days). i just continued to nurse him on demand. don't let your dr. start scaring you about formula. what you are describing is not abnormal for a newborn. try to relax, drink plenty of water and just keep up the good work. your milk will come in when it comes (with my first it took a while, with the other two it was different times....there's no way to predict these things).
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• good luckDon't worry this is normal! It happened to my children to! I always tell my friends the best way to make your milk production up is after nursing baby go pump right away! Make your body think the baby is eating the little extra that may come out from pumping. This way you can also have reserve for when you want to go out on a date or just a fun night!

jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Drink plenty of fluids, and relax!!! stress hinders milk production. It can take up to FIVE DAYS for your milk to come in, and until thenyou baby IS eating. Just be calm.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• google "what to eat" - suprisingly - beer ... or any other whole oat product. lots of milk (i swear there are hormones) tons of water... just look it up. there are herbs too but those are questionable imo. my friend tried one because her production was really low and it made her smell weird, she couldnt stand it. she would be like, "What IS that weird smell"... pause... it is ME (not cool!)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Nurse, nurse and nurse some more. Let the baby lay skin to skin on your chest as much as possible. Let him stay on the breast even when sleeping. This is great stimulation for supply. Up to 10% weight loss is completely normal (more if you had IV fluids or a C-section) and gain is not to be expected so early. Go join the breastfeeding moms group here and you will get tons of help.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 11:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I had to supplement in the beginning with formula until my milk came in, but after that had no problems and don't use formula at all. The milk will come in when it is good and ready. Don't worry too much about it, but don't ignore your doctor either. A little formula in the beginning won't harm your baby.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 11:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It's a supply-and-demand relationship so keep doing it.
    If it's less than 5 days you are still totally normal-average.
    ;-)

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:02 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Keep nursing, wear baby often, especially skin to skin and drink your daily dose of water! Good luck mama.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 4:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Just nurse him! That's what brings it in. Loss is normal; up to ten percent of birth weight for a vaginal birth, even MORE for a c-section. Don't look for him to hit birth weight again for as long as a month; gain is merely 4-6 ounces per week.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Nurse on demand, as you are already doing. For now, you might want to offer in between nursings just for the extra stimulation. Up to 10% is normal weight loss, and yes, it can be a little more if you've had a c section. Before supplementing with formula, see an IBCLC or a LLL leader. Listen to your pedi, but get other opinions, from people who are trained in breastfeeding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010