How to keep a check on holiday budget when all the kids toys are a minimum of 49.99 each???

Prices are crazy! How to get the kids what they want on a budget when they are all so expensive??

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 9:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Holidays

• idk....my kids stuff was 40 each and for the baby it was 30. my nephews were 30 and 50 (but most of that 50 was for pj's lol. he loves footy pajamas). what are they asking for that is a minimum of 50 bucks? video games or something? you could look at gamestop and see if they have some pre-owned there if that is the case.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Good question. It's pretty bad. I've done used toys before or gotten things off Craigslist for a discount.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'm having the same problem! I'm just trying to find good sales. I've already returned two toys for better prices at other stores. It sucks, but these prices are out of control...I never realized legos were so freakin expensive! And $20 for one toy train is ridiculous too!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Well, my kids knew that they wouldn't get everything on their list. They were told to make a list of items from $5 on up to their biggest wishes, and to make sure that they had items at every price range in between so that I could give gift ideas of different prices to Grandma, etc. as well.

They got one large gift from Santa, and then a variety of other gifts...sometimes we could afford to spend a few hundred per child, sometimes we could only afford to spend about $50 per child. Somehow on Christmas morning they always seemed to be pretty happy.

I've found lots of great gifts in a variety of price ranges this year. Good Luck.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Anon. I would just do gift cards 5-10 to a toy store or a walmart. I always put my DD first - once I have shopped for her I shop for my nieces and nephews and my DH is last.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 10:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• There are plenty of nice toys for much less than that. If you can afford one of the bigger presents, that's nice, but look around for things that don't cost as much.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 10:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thanksgiving and black friday sales are my favorite. Didnt get to go this year though.
    ProudMom0810

Answer by ProudMom0810 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• most of the time they lose interest in the toys pretty quickly anyhow- get them one thing they really want and some other cheaper stuff ;)

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I try my best to get that one thing that they are really wanting and then a few little things. I have three boys so I actually shop all year picking up little things here and there. I really watch the sales ads around this time of year though because sometimes you can find things pretty cheap.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 3:24 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I buy one pricey thing. Like this year it will be an ipod for my daughter.
    The rest of the things I do my best to find sales and specials for clothing, Wii games or whatever toys she may like.
    I WOULD NOT spend $50 each on 6 or 8 items. Thats just crazy.
    Ive been buying a little along for about 2 months now and im about 90% done.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 3, 2010