My husband filed for divorce after I filed an Order of Protection. Now he wants me to drop the OofP before he drops the Divorce. Can I drop it without being in Contempt of Court?

Also, within a week of the OOP, he closed our joint account. I have had to pull money from the little savings I had in order to keep the utilites paid. He works full time, I have not worked in over 5 years.

pamalatr

Asked by pamalatr at 9:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes, you can go to court on the court date and tell the judge that you want to drop it.
    Why drop the order of protection? Obviously you felt like you and your kid(s) were danger and felt the need to get it. If you felt like he was going to do something to you and that you needed it then why drop it at all??
    Jessica45

Answer by Jessica45 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yes, it can be dropped, but you will be asked if you were coerced into doing so WHICH YOU WERE!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'd contact the local Domestic Violence Shelter and ask. They know the local laws plus they are used to guys pulling this manipulating tactic. They would be the ones I ask since laws are different.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• if he is using the dropping of the divorce as a way to get you to drop the OP then it is considered coercion which personally would scare the F out of me...he may want to hurt you so no OP then easy access

4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 9:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You need to step back and ask yourself do you want to be married to someone you had to file an order of protection on? If not get a lawyer. With a lawyer he will have to give you 1/2 of what was in the account plus child support and probably some type of spousal support for a period of time. He also could be ordered to only have supervised visitation or even none at all. He could have to pay for the children's insurance etc. Revamp your resume and get a job and make a safe home for yourself and your children.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 9:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Why would you want to? If it's bad enough to file an OofP on him, be glad for the divorce.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Why do you want him to drop the divorce? You had to file an OOP, but still want to be married to him?
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I also ask, "Why drop the order? " Trust your gut instincts they rarely let you down. We all don't always get second chances. Stick to your decision, there was a reason you filed the order of protection in the first place. Do things for the right reasons, and God will do the rest.
    PEPPERSHAKER

Answer by PEPPERSHAKER at 9:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Many utilities will work with you if you are going through separation too. The only reason you should drop the oop is if you truly feel it was unnecessary.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 10:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thanks ladies for your insight. Hope you all have blessed weeks and a joyous holiday season.
    pamalatr

Comment by pamalatr (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2010