Question for BF moms, why transport milk?

I did breast feed both of my girls for a while, though we did have to supplement with formula for both of them. Anyway, I don't understand the need to transport milk. People talk about traveling with it. Since you make it, don't you always have it with you in a your own nice convenient packaging? Really, I'm not trying to start junk, I just don't understand the need.

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 9:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Health

• I don't get it either. I couldn't pump, so I didn't get the option, but seriously, if you can't just BF, supplement... Once or twice a day isn't going to hurt...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Because you have to pump while away from your baby so you do not lose your supply. Many people consider breast milk to be liquid gold. Would you just throw all the hard work you have gone through to pump down the drain?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• The milk may be traveling with you, but that doesn't mean the baby is.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• N. most likely the mother needs to fly for business and is gone for several days at a time.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• well, sometimes i did bring some, so i wouldn't have to pump infront of people, but i breastfed both my boys, and supplimented occasionally, and i prefer bm over making a bottle at 1 , 2,3, 4, 5, am etc.... lol. really it was easier to use the bm in a bottle when we were somewhere where i couldn't sit down to feed him.
    armywife117

Answer by armywife117 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• b/c why would you waste it?
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• So you are sending the milk with the baby on the plane? This is what I'm not getting. I guess it makes since that way.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• There were times I was a lot longer out than I thought i would be.
    trashymom

Answer by trashymom at 10:04 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Well, in my case, I had to pump for over an hour at a time to get a supply built up, and very often. My supply was so low that my son wouldn't latch on. So, I would have had to bring it with me if I wanted him to have it. Not everyone can just pull their boob out and feed their baby, unfortunately. I had to prepare ahead of time for every feeding.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• But what I'm reading is the mom wants to take the milk on the plane. To me (and this may be way off base, I don't know) it was explaine that most moms don't have a problem with making the milk (but I never really did make a lot). So, if your body makes it why would it be a big deal to pump in and transport it when there are so many issues with having liquids on a plane. Why not just feed the baby the milk that your body has it already?
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 10:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2010