school selling things?

My son's Pre-K constantly has things they try to sell to you (about twice a month or so), and I do things here or there but it is getting to the point where I have to start turning some things down if my son won't really be into them. It makes me feel bad, but I don't have the kind of money to keep buying things constantly. I am a single Mom so my money does have a limit. It makes me feel bad though sometimes. Does anyone else feel the same way?

For instance this time, they are trying to sell some 'school photo' christmas gift tags (so small a picture I can hardly see it) for the "great" price of 8 tags for $10. I already wrapped my gifts, and the tags are really not nice. If I want a picture of my son, I want it in other forms. I just feel really crappy about it, even though I know I shouldn't...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well with the cut backs the schools are experiencing they have to make extra money to keep things going like paying for supplies. I understand because I can't afford the things my kids bring home also. But just because they bring it home doesn't mean you have to buy it.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I don't always order. If you don't have the money, don't worry about it.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It may be bad but I never buy from school fundraisers. I dont hound my friends and relatives with it either. I know that schools are hard up for money however I am struggling as well and they arent having fundraisers to help me pay my bills LOL
    In all seriousness we simply politely decline, I really just dont have $40 to drop on wrapping paper/candle holders ect.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 10:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I've gotten to the point where I don't even feel bad about it any more lol. I understand very well that the schools are hurting right now, and they're doing everything they can, but I have my family to run as well, and I do whatever I can to help out.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• We don't do fund raisers. I do drop a good amount of dough at the Fall Festival.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• dont feel bad. ia m sure there are lots of parent who arent buying every single iteam the schools selling. And if you dont need it you dont need it. I wouldnt buy it either.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 10:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• We do a fall fundraiser and a spring fundraiser at our school and generally have a big ticket item to raffle off sometime during the year. Throughout the year the kids bring home Scholastic book order forms. I don't think it's too bad. If I can't afford it I don't buy though, it's especially getting tough now that two of the three are in school and trying to raise funds. And I'm on the PTO board that sends the stuff out. lol Don't feel bad. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• i feel the same way, i give a few dollars for my son to shop at the christmas shop, and i order some t shirts from school, but other than that, cub scouts has wipped me out. its too expensive on a fixed or limited income. i volunteer at the school and i am on the pta, and i feel that is all i can give to help out. i buy online with the scholastic book orders, and my teacher gets 1 free book, even if my order is $1!
    armywife117

Answer by armywife117 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Don't feel bad about that. Trust me, the school and your child want you to have the things he needs to have versus shelling out money for their fundraisers. You get credit for spending the money to have him in the preK program to begin with, that will make his future brighter! A photo tag will be forgotten by next week most likely.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• my problem is not only do I have a kid in kindergarten but I have relatives with grade school kids who are also bugging me to buy this and that. I don't buy anything and those who try to get me to buy stuff need to come to their senses and realize If I bought from a fundraiser I will buy from my kid first...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010