EDIT!! Why do YOU say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"?

Okay the last question didn't work very well. So now each side will have their own question.

Please be respectful and do not bash and vote down others in the question that does not pertain to what YOU say.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 10:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't celebrate Christmas and I know that not everyone does, so I say "Happy holidays," instead. I think that "Merry Christmas" is too narrow and assumes too much.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• To me, Happy Holidays means you are wishing people a happy holiday SEASON..which to me encompasses the time period from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day. (and all those holidays that fall in between those days no matter WHAT you celebrate). I feel kind of lame wishing my Jewish friends Merry Christmas! Just because I celebrate Christmas doesn't mean every one does or should. So I think its just polite to say Happy Holidays unless you know for sure what holidays the person celebrates.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 10:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Okay, same answer... Because I don't celebrate Christmas and because I don't know what (if anything) someone else celebrates... Happy Holidays covers it all...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Because the world does not revolve around a single religion, no matter how much certain people wish it did.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• SabrinaMBowen hit it right on the head for me, though we do celebrate Christmas, it's just not a religious holiday in our home.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Out of respect for the numerous holidays during the late fall/early winter season, I say "hoilidays". Xmas is not the only holiday, nor should it be the only one recognized. I am personally offended, and view "merry christmas" as backwards, disrespectful, and narrow minded.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• When I was working at a large bank in the Twin Cities, we were advised to say "Happy Holidays". Around friends and family,I say Merry Christmas, just as a tradition. It doesn't really matter whch one I say,really. Both are fine.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It's PC to say Happy Holidays as it respects everyone's special holiday. I say Happy Holidays on the street or w/ people I don't know but w/ those I know, I say Happy Hanukkah, Merry Xmas, etc.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• No we do not assume you are doing it to be rude. You say merry christmas grea we say happy holidays so what either way it is ment to be well wishes.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Saying "Happy Holidays" covers all of it... I don't know what another celebrates... and I don't
    like offending ppl if I can help it...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010