Camping with 8 week old

My partner and i have always loved the outdoors and camping has been an activity we have enjoyed for years. We took our first camping when he was 1yo and he has been many times since and loves it. But now we have a 5 week old girl and are thinking of going camping again over xmas holidays so she will be about 8-9 weeks old. She is breastfed exclusively so that part is easy. Has anyone taken a baby this young camping before? we have a large 10 man tent so room isnt an issue and i have both a bassinett with mosquitoe netting and a port-o-cot. any advise or reasons why we shouldnt or tips and opinions on if we do?

Sorry forgot to mention we live in Australia so its summer here and the summer bugs are my biggest concern any tips for avoiding/repelling (i know i cant use repellant on her skin but any other types that people know of?) does anyone have experiance with the sonic style bug repelants that you can hang from tent/wrist etc etc or any other types?

mummsey

Asked by mummsey at 10:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Taking an 8 week old camping sounds easier than a toddler!! Go for it and have fun! Hopefully it's warm where you are :)
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 10:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Too young to go camping at such a young age much less during the winter!

JMHO
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• We've always camped with babies. I'd think twice being winter but that's just me. lol I'd worry that a tent that large wouldn't be as warm but maybe you're in a warmer climate than me. Have fun!! :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My son was only 4 weeks old on his camping trip, and he did great! You will all have a blast! The only issue we had was bugs. I don't know if it was his milk breath or what, but the flying bugs were obsessed with him!
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If you are seasoned campers, I don't see an issue with it.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I am assuming that you live somewhere warm, we took our son camping all winter long, he was older but actually it would have been easier before he was crawling! Our friends went camping with us and they took their daughter at 3 weeks! Go and have fun!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• sorry guys i didnt mention we are in Australia so its summer here and yes bugs are probably my main if not only concern!
    mummsey

Comment by mummsey (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I would worry about the bugs since the baby is too young for repellant. Maybe ask your childs doctor, they would be able to tell you what is and isn't safe :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Then heck yeah. If we had the weather for it I could see us decorating a Christmas tree on the river somewhere. lol
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You know, I would put a call into the ped's nurse and ask her about repellant but my best guess would be to have her covered. Lightweight, cotton two piece or onesie in white, cream, camel or green colors. Dark colors attract mosquitoes. What about poisonous snakes/spiders in Oz?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2010