What all goes into a diaper bag?

Im about 33 weeks pregnant, and I just want to make sure everything is perfect. I think I have everything I need in her bag, I would just like to hear more opinions. Oh yeah, and what do you need in your hospital bag?

littleblackrose

Asked by littleblackrose at 6:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in General Parenting

• What goes in the diaper bag?

Having a well stocked diaper bag is very important! You don't want to be without something that you need for your baby while you are away from home. So here is a list of things you'll want to pack inside of your diaper bag:

* Diapers (Now, that doesn't surprise you, does it?) Pack enough diapers and covers to get you through your day trip.
    * Diaper wipes
    * Changing pad
    * Small waterproof bag (also known as a ditty bag) to place wet or soiled garments into after a diaper change
    * A few plastic grocery store bags (You never know when you'll need to place something inside of one of these. You can also use these in place of a ditty bag.)
    * At least one complete change of clothing for the baby (Don't forget undershirts/onesies and socks!)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• * An extra shirt for mom (if she is nursing)
    * A small thin blanket (Receiving blankets work well.)
    * A burp cloth
    * A small package of tissues
    * A small bottle of anti-bacterial liquid hand wipe
    * Hand lotion
    * Band-aids
    * A rattle or small toy
    * A bib and baby spoon
    * A baby bottle or spill proof cup filled with milk (hopefully yours) or juice
    * A bottle of water for yourself
    * Snacks for you and the baby
    * A mini breast pump (if necessary)
    * Nursing pads
    * Pacifier
    * A sunhat for the baby
    * Sunscreen
    * Sunglasses (for you and the baby)
    m.robertson811

• * Your baby's medical card and immunization record
    * A small phone book with important phone numbers (Don't forget your pediatrician's phone number!)
    * A cell phone to use for emergencies
    * Your wallet
    Some of the items on the above list are optional, but some are not. For instance, you'll be in trouble if you don't have diapering supplies or a change of clothing for your baby while you are out, but it won't be as big a deal if you forget to bring your sunglasses along.

(from storknet.com)
    m.robertson811

• Congrats! wipes, diapers, change of clothes, baby powder,burping cloths,hand sanitizer,lotion,
    bottles,water for baby,recieving blanket,snap under shirt, blanket, immunization card, so far that is all i can think of. Good luck
    jeadra

Answer by jeadra at 6:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• i have q-tips, hand sanitizer, disposible changing pad, chapstick, her medical cards and immunization record, snot sucker, tylenol, gas drops, thermometer, alcohol pads, vaseline, desitin, travel size johnson & johnson baby wash, diapers, wipes, 2 changes of clothes, wide brimmed hat, a small toy, recieving blanket & now that it's getting cooler a fleece blanket, a book, snacks & water for me (i BF). i think that's aobout it. for now start with the basics (diapers, wipes, clothes, etc.) and add things as you think you'll need them, or when you need something and wish that you had them.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 7:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Here is what you always need in your bag:
    5-6 diapers (never know whats gonig to happen)
    wipes
    nose aspirator
    about 2 extra sets of clothes for your little one
    at first you may want breast pads (even if your not breastfeeding),
    and maybe an extra shirt for you just in case you leak- i even had 6 shirts in my car-happened all the time even through breast pads. lol
    if your baby is gassy then gas drops (dont really need all meds in there)
    2-3 bottles
    formula
    burp clothes is a must lol
    you dont need toys until they are older
    extra set of socks (they always loose them)lol
    (i keep my sons immuazation record in my wallet which goes in his diaper bag-no need for a purse now lol)
    sanatizer
    thats about it- when you go to the hospital they give you diapers so dont show them yours (when i was in the hospital they gave me 3 packs for 3 days!!)

ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• In my diaper bag:

three diapers
    wipes
    Diaper rash cream
    baby lotion
    two burp cloths
    camera :)
    baby fingernail clippers
    change of clothes
    socks
    hat
    roll of plastic bags (like the kind used to clean up after dogs)
    spare pacifier
    antibacterial wipes and gel
    baby washclothes
    receiving blanket
    breast pads
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 10:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Those are the things I bring on every trip, like to the grocery store or to drop him off at daycare. If we're going to be out longer, I'll add more diapers, a shirt for me and hubby, and an extra outfit for baby. Depending on where we're going, I'll bring along my electric breast pump (spring for the car charger, I use mine ALL the time when hubby's driving!), a bottle or two, and a bottle warmer that works in the car. My son always has a blanket and a pacifier tucked into his car seat with him. I have never needed anything more than that! As baby gets older, I'd have more clothes/toys/feeding equipment in there, but start small, otherwise it gets overwhelming (and heavy, and just more junk you need to dig through!). Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

• Eep, here's what was in my hospital bag:

Camera
    Camera battery charger
    Phone charger
    Journal (with phone numbers, name, etc.)
    Birth plan
    Stopwatch
    Massage oil/roller
    Pillow
    Suckers/candy to suck on
    Baby book
    What to Expect When You're Expecting
    A deck of cards
    Cribbage board
    Nintendo DS+charger (for hubby)
    iPod
    Hairbrush/pick
    Hair binders
    Cash
    Pills (if youre taking any)
    Chap stick
    Focal point
    Purse
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Mouthwash
    Shampoo
    Conditioner
    Shower gel
    Lotion
    Face Wash
    Face Lotion
    Deoderant
    Makeup
    Bathrobe
    Slippers
    Pajamas
    Socks
    Underwear
    Nursing bras with pads
    Clothes to wear home (go big, in case you swell like I did!)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 10:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I packed my bag about six weeks ahead of time and had a list sitting on top of the things that needed to be grabbed at the last minute (toothbrush, phone charger, etc). I definitely overpacked, but I wasn't lacking anything I wanted! Don't forget a bag for hubby, and if you have pets, a blanket to put in babies bassinet to send home for them to smell.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 10:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2008