i'm broke this Christmas! Who else is with me?

I usually try to buy a little for everyone but this Christmas i can't.. ugh i feel bad b/c i know others are gonna get us something and we cant this yr...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Holidays

• Well, tell them ahead of time that you will not be participating in gift exchanges this year. I did that with my family several years back. It makes it so much easier now. All I have to worry about is my own children, and of course, now the grandchildren. If they give you a hard time about it, be firm. It's your life and you should be able to spend your own money on how you choose. It's not about the gift giving. (You don't know how many times I'm going to say that this year)
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• That's how it was last year, but we were expected to buy gifts for the family christmas party.... We were only able to have a christmas because some sweet anonymous person at my work gave me a gift card. Things are a little better this year though.
    JessicaB86

Answer by JessicaB86 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'm broke. I think I will only be able to buy one small gift for dd.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• well i have a plan instead of buying gift i thought i would make some. you can make cookies and buy jars to put them in. you could also
    make cupcakes there are lots of things you can make.
    groover

Answer by groover at 10:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• we are not going to be able to this year , prbly a few presents for our daughter thats it though we are really tight this month...

bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• i too am broke. i will be using a charity for my children this year.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Instead of material gifts why not write a short letter to people you would buy gifts for and tell them why they are important to you, what you admire about them and what you hope for them. I know most older people will tell you when they look back on the holidays they have celebrated that they remember being with and sharing the time with friends and family and most cannot remember any gifts they ever receive.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• We cannot afford presents either, which SO knows. He is only collecting unemployment at this time, and barely get by with what he gets every 2 weeks. Our 2 yr. old son needs clothes desperately, but that has been "waiting until next pay" for several months now! I need clothes myself, I have gained quite a bit of weight since pregnancy but we cannot afford even to go the second hand store.
    I told him "we cannot afford to buy massive amounts of presents for your son (his 13 yr. old from his marriage who is extremely bad and does not deserve to receive anything but shit"!!!! We also cannot afford even the normal 1 present for his siblings and parents either!! And his horrible son's birthday is 3 days after x-mas, so he feels as if he has to buy presents for him on that day too!! It sickens me, this child is sooooooo extremely ill-behaved ALL of the time and gets rewarded for it constantly!!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Last Christmas this was the case with me and my mother. So my sister called and said that she thought her best present would be having to give no gifts. That way we could keep our own money instead of spending it on someone else, so we wouldn't have to do without. I was hurt a little at first, but I finally realized that it made our Christmas less stressful. This Christmas is still the same, being broke, we are doing it again. It sucks, I admit that. But it made me feel better to give some clothes that my kids had outgrown and some toys to others that aren't played with anymore to those who are less fortunate. That's my Christmas gift.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:02 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• We are not rolling in dough. I like homemade gifts. This year, we painted my LO's hands in red and green, laminated the print, and cut them out, strung them on red ribbon and made tree ornaments for the grand parents. They loooved them!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:35 AM on Dec. 1, 2010