I cooked my turkey of 23 1/2 lbs with stuffing for 4 hours and need to cook it another

1 1/2 to 2 hours..Do I need to take the stuffing out and cook it more or can I leave the stuffing in the turkey overnight and put it int the refrigerator and cook it 1 1/2 hours tomorrow.

Pattiki

Asked by Pattiki at 10:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You need to finish cooking the bird the entire way, do NOT partially cook, cool, and refrigerate it. It will make everyone sick.

Finish cooking with the stuffing, to be sure that the stuffing has reached a safe temp, make sure it has come up to 155F (it will go up with carry over cooking to the 160F+ range)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• ObbyDobbie is right, you have to cook it completely now, and it probably needs to cook another 3+ hours. I cooked a 22 lb. turkey this weekend, stuffed, and it took 7 hours. And actually, according to my cookbook the temperature needs to reach 180 degrees.

Good Luck.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• For future reference, it is better to cook the bird and the stuffing separately, the stuffing can get undercooked and get you sick more easily. What I do is slice and apple and stick it in the middle of the bird for extra juice and flavor. It also takes allot less longer to cook each separately. Do you still have the wrapper to the turkey? it should have a guide on it for cooking times.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 8:40 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Finish it!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:57 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• you need to cook that turkey all the way, so you dont get sick
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I start my turkey at night about 10 pm stuffing inside cook at 250 all night long occasionally adding butter to it through the night. It is usually done by lunch time make sure to wrap in aliuminum foil and uncover the last few hours to brown it. Keep buttering it and it will come out perfect and moist.
    looneymom424

Answer by looneymom424 at 8:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• keep cooking
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 9:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• dont sleep finish the meal
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 10:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Stuffing in the bird is "old school". Today the experts tell us to cook the stuffing separate. The bird will be fine, he doesn't need the stuffing hitching a free ride. Besides when you do the stuffing separate, you can make more of it!
    jdjamm

Answer by jdjamm at 4:58 AM on Sep. 29, 2012