Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

Well the judge said yes but there is one HUGE catch...

I was granted permission to move out of state. XH didn't show up. When I go pick up DD from his house, I give him the paper and he blows up.
Turns out, he never got the paper to appear and had no clue. My attorney along with myself didn't know that when we originally filed for divorce, the address he was using (his mom's) was incorrect. So they sent the papers to that address this time and he didn't get them.

Here's my question. When he moved out of his mom's house (1 block away on the same street), was he expected to give anyone his new address? The court? Anyone?
I mean I knew where he went but not really the address so I just assumed that his mail was still going to his mom's home since she bought this place for him to live in.

Also, I know he has 30 days to argue it but do you think the judge will overturn the ruling? I am only moving 25 miles from XH and the petition states what area I am moving so I can't just move 2 states away or even further into that state than I am going.


Asked by Jademom07 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Relationships

Level 34 (64,323 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • You could have even just posted it in the newspaper. It's his responsibility to give you or the court his address. You would think he'd want the Clerk of Court to have his correct address for CS purposes. No the Judge won't change his ruling over this.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • He was served at the last known address. That's is all that is required. And if its his MOM's house why didnt she give him his mail?

    Answer by lisa89j at 10:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • No, the judge probably won't overturn it. The mail went to his MOTHER's house, he should have received it. Also, he is required to give you his address when he moves.

    Answer by ohwrite at 10:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • (however it if went by mail, it should have been sent Certified so he'd sign for it)

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:04 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • He should have corrected the address on the divorce papers if they were wrong. That's on him.

    Answer by lisa89j at 11:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • yup. you're supposed to update your EVERYTHING with the court. BOTH of you.

    Answer by dragonlady320 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • Im not sure I would ask my lawyer

    Answer by LiLJeni at 12:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • According to him the address for his mom was wrong on our divorce papers even though he signed them in court in front of the judge. Shouldn't he have said something then that his mom's address was wrong?

    Comment by Jademom07 (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010