NEWBORN HELP

My five week old has been up for sixteen hours. She's only slept for a total of 40 minutes throughout that time. Is this normal? What do you recommend? She is a little fussy because my milk supply has been drained because of her continuous eating today. Her temperature is ok. Any idea what is going on? :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Growth spurt. She will probably even out soon. Just keep feeding her and holding her.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yep, it is a growth spurt. In a few days, she will be sleeping so much more and you'll freak out about that. She's tanking up and then she'll sleep more because babies grow while they're sleeping.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 11:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Have you been drinking caffeine? If so, stop. Give her a warm bath, dim the lights, nurse her, say shhhhhh over and over again (this makes them think they are still in the womb) gently pat her back... but newborns NEED to sleep more than they are awake. In fact, I would call your pediatrician just to see what s/he has to say.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 11:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Give the girl some formula, sounds like she is going through a major growth spurt as BradenIsMySon suggested!! I am just being real here, I have nothing against BFing but if your personal supply is depleted and your baby is hungry, would you rather they just starve until it's up again. If you think she is still hungry, buy a can of formula to use as a supplement for times like these. May be gas, have you tried a dose of Mylicon or gripe water?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Also a nice lavender bath with lavender lotion can help, lavender is a calming scent (that's why it is so often used in baby products)! It can help!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You aren't drained! I promise!! You are constantly making milk, even when you're nursing. I would "wear your baby" in a front pack or wrap to help her fall asleep. I highly recommend the Moby wrap (:
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 11:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• BTW, you don't "rum out of milk" It is like drinking from a cup with a straw as someone is pouring milk in. You can suck and suck and it won't fill up, but, it won't empty either. No need for formula.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010