Breastfeeding Question

Ok so forgive me if in the next few days i post a number of questions, i only just found out this site exsists!! and in comparrison to other sites im surprised to get answers the same day let alone in a matter or minutes!!

OK - so my question is regarding Breastfeeding. When i BF my first he was a ferocious eater and would latch on and get right down to business with not even a break untill he either finished one side and wanted the other or was full!

With my 5 week old girl she acts hungry all the time and once she is on she gives about a minute of strong sucking before going into a deep sleep which even nappy changing doesnt wake her out of. I put her down and within minutes shes awake and screaming again because she is hungry! she has been doing this since about 3 weeks old. Im always quite full because of the constant stimulation. i have tried block feeding, letting her cry in order to get enough of a time frame where i know shell be hungry, expressing and feeding to her in a bottle, whiping her face with cool face washer to keep her awake, tickling feet while feeding, undressing, you name it iv tried just about everything i can think of to keep her awak. However nothing so far seems to work. She is almost always overtired come night time and i always end up having to ask hubby to do the cooking while i tend to her, but at night once she is asleep she usually sleeps for about a 6 hour block before waking. While im enjoying the long sleep at night i know its not good for her and i still get nothing done during the day because she is constantly crying for food!

Any tips, advise or suggestions?

mummsey

Asked by mummsey at 11:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would feed mt daughter in front of a fan she would lattch on really good
    NevansMommy

Answer by NevansMommy at 11:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Maybe put on some air and undress her a little. Make her a littlee uncomfortable. Breastfeeding is a bonding experience and sometimes babies get too comfortable. Maybe even move around while feeding her(only if you've mastered that skill). Or talking to her or someone else. Maybe have your son talk to her while shes eating. She might concentrate on him.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I have tried the undressing thing but not infront of a fan so ill give that a go as its definately warm enough i guess the reason i didnt is that its quite hot here atm so a fan would make her more comfortable i would have thought???

I can easily walk around while feeding her but opted against that too as nursing and walking generally is a technique i use to put her to sleep!! its so frustrating not to mention starting to wear thin on the old nipples iv had to introduce the nipple shield its gotten to that point i just hope its a passing thing and that in another couple of weeks she'll be a bit older and hopefully alot less sleepy!
    mummsey

Comment by mummsey (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I use to rub my daughters arm or leg to keep her awake. Not rough or hard, but not really in a soothing way either. She did the same thing falling asleep so fast!! Also I pumped sometimes (I know the bottle is not as bonding) she stayed awake longer and ate more if I gave her my milk from a bottle. Just a suggestion! GL
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Keep at it. She will outgrow the constant falling asleep at the breast. Just keep trying to keep her awake, at least 10 minutes if possible. It's just so comforting for her, she can't help it! =) Sit her up and play with her when she starts falling asleep. Start talking to her, get her upright, bounce her around like she's wide awake.
    It's a common problem. Try not to get too discouraged! Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:28 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• sounds like you've done everything :( dont get discouraged she'll grow out of it. Maybe you can find a lactation consultant around you that can observe/help you.
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Sounds like you're on the right track with everything...each baby has a different personality, this may just be her's. Have you considered attending an LLL meeting to see if any local mamas have been through this as well and can perhaps offer some advice?
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 4:28 AM on Dec. 1, 2010