I HAVE A FRIEND THAT'S HAVING PROBLEM TAKING CARE OF HIS LITTLE BOY AND HE WANTS TO •Submit a notarized written statement FOR ME TO HAVE FULL COSTODY OF THAT CHILD DO YOU THINK THAT LEGAL WAY TO GO BY IT, CAUSE IM WILLING TO TAKE THAT RESPONSIBILITIES. DO YOU THINK IT'S A LEGAL WAY TO GO BY IT?

em_12

Asked by em_12 at 11:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think that's enough. I think you have to go to court. You can call your local courthouse, or better an attorney to find out what should be done.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• thats not enuff, it has to be done legally
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Sorry, it's not as simple as signing a paper. It has to go through family court for LOTS of reasons.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• A child can live with anyone as long as the parents consent. Getting a notarized statement saying that he authourizes you to treat the child in a medical emergency, and that he agrees to the custody is totally fine. I have actually been through this before. You would only need an attorney if the state, county, or adoption were involved.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Notarization is making a document legal, and sufficient in court. I've already been through this.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It might be enough for a short, specified period of time like a weekend. He really needs to go to an attorney and get this done correctly, going through court, etc.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Talk to a lawyer before the courts. The courts scare me because if they don't deem you as fit, they will take the child into state custody, and it could get bad. Or call your human services office for annonymous advice. My sister lost custody of her kid and the child's grandmother had to fight tooth and nail to have visitation.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Oh, almost forgot. He can also file for guardianship. You go to the courthouse and you both sign the document right there. It's different than adoption and a lot easier. You don't need a lawyer to do so. Just call your local courthouse and ask them how.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My grandparents had custody of me as a child from a baby till moved out at age 18. They had their lawyer draw up a document that stated my mother was granting them custody of me. It was signed, notarized & that was all they ever needed.
    Anonymous

• When we first took custody of our grandchildren we first just had a power of attorney regarding the kids..signed by their mom. After it became clear she was making no effort we went for guardianship. With just a notorized statement or a P.O.A. the giver(Dad) can revoke it at any time. For the safety of the child a gusrdianship is really the way to go. We were glasd we did. About 8 months later she showed up demanding the kids. We said no, go sleep it off. She called the cops.We showed them our paperwork..they tip toed in to peek at the kids in their beds. Not only did they remove her form our property (she told them about the POA but not the guardianship) they then arrested her for public intox. Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2010