Santa Claus......real person or spirit?

What do you teach your kids about this? I asked this question last year too, I just got into yet another argument with SO about this. I refuse to lie to my child within my lifetime EVER, no exceptions!! I have told him this before and we argued over it, but this year he is 2 and may be more apt to believe the lies that people may tell him speaking about Santa Claus as if this were a real person. I feel sooooooooo very strong about this. I have simply agreed to disagree and told SO that he can lie to our son as much as he wants but I refuse. I will teach my son the REAL history and meaning of Santa Claus and I will never let him believe that this is an actual person that delivers him and every other child on earth gifts on this day, I mean really(??????) that's not even possible!! He can choose to lie to our son but I NEVER will, I have vowed to always and forever be honest and truthful with my child and it is EXTREMELY important to me to be so!!

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Holidays

• We don't do Santa at all... We don't believe it sets a positive example for how we want our children to live. We teach them that even white lies or lies meant for fun are still lies and should be avoided... We don't avoid Santa, but our kids know he's not real. They see him as they do Scooby Doo or any other character... They are fun for stories and TV, but not real...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:03 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Well, I respect your ideas, but as a former believer in Santa Claus, I can tell you that I am perfectly well adjusted to life as an adult. As are my adult children. It's in our culture, so it's kind of hard to stay away from it. On another note, you might be taking the fun away from your SO, just a thought....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Santa is just pretend like any other cartoon story. I would never tell our kids there is a Santa coming to bring them presents on Christmas because...
    1- Christmas is Jesus birthday. That's the reason we celebrate.
    2- It's a lie. I don't want to lie to my kids. (Even as a way to have fun)
    3- We spend our hard earned money and don't want to give the credit to anyone else...especially a "made up" someone!
    We tell our kids, "Daddy Clause" is getting them stuff! lol
    We do watch, "Santa Claus is coming to town" and "Rudolph" and "Frosty" etc. They just know the difference though that it's not real.
    My husband was the same way when we first got pregnant. He said he was going to tell them Santa was coming. I said, "Well you can...but I'm going to be right there telling them he's not coming, and when they get older and realize who's lying guess who they're going to trust?"
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• they know its jesus's birthday and santas for play
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 11:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Woo-Hoo's and applause for carol2m2!! My feelings almost exactly!!! Trust is a huge issue with me and it is something that I want my child or someday maybe children to never question and just know that they have with me at all times.
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 11:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Ok, we get it. You don't want to lie to your child. I was "lied to" and am grateful for it. I am so glad that I was able to believe in magic at one point in my life. Never again will I be able to accept something without thoroughly analyzing it. I guess this is what is called "blind faith". I believed in Santa because I was able to, and I treasure those innocent moments and memories. So, I will allow my son to believe in Santa. If he finds it too hard to believe on his own, but if he's receptive to the idea, I'll have fun with him. I trust my parents indefinitely, and yes, they let me believe in Santa.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Santa Pictures, Images and Photos

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• And call me a horrible person, but I'm not a huge believer that "white lies" are always so terrible. I've had people ask me before if I thought they were ugly. I thought they were, but I lied and told them I didn't. I guess that makes me a liar, lol.

My parents lied to me about Santa, and I had so much fun with that lie that I'm grateful for it. I guess they're liars too! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:09 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• @SabrinaMBowen......that is exactly how I feel, word for word!! It does not sound like a horrible thing the way you type it but for some reason when I attempt to put my feelings into words about this subject when conversing with my SO, he just tells me that I am mean, ignorant and rude among other things!! Although as I inform him every time he uses the word "ignorant" incorrectly, I fully understand both sides of this issue and am not ignorant to anything regarding it whatsoever. The simple fact for me being that "I will never lie to my child"!!!......nor will allow him to put faith in a fallacy.
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• LovingSAHMommy........well I do not understand what the false and ridiculous idea of a single man delivering presents to every child on earth in one night has to do with magic. I believe in magic as an adult even more than I did as a child, because I have seen it happen and experienced it first-hand. Simply choosing to be honest with my child about "Santa Claus", does not mean I am robbing my baby of his childhood or fantasy, they are an important part of childhood! I simply wish for my son to know the difference between fantasy and reality as early as possible in his life and I hope he spreads the news to his naive peers someday!!!(much to their ignorant parents dismay)!!
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2010