Explain to Daddy....

I love my daughter so much, she's never been a bad girl, always listened to her father and I.
On her 18th birthday she decided to get a tattoo on her neck.
The tattoo is one line and symbolizes our religion, Catholic.
Problem is she didn't think about explaining this to her father nor did she get my approval before she got it.
I don't mind because personally I like it, so now it's all between her and her father.
Can anyone please give me some advice to help me talk her into telling her father so she doesn't have to hide it for the rest of her life.
My husband is very old school so it's going to be extremely difficult for him to not "blow a gasket".

Please give me some advice as to what she should say.. She's stuck and always been there for me. I wanna be there for her too!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• This is where she has to make the I am an adult stand. With that DH might say then move out. Sorry she put in the middle.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• She's legally an adult and made an adult decision. Her dad is also an adult and hopefully can accept the fact that his daughter may sometimes make decisions that he disagrees with. I'm sorry you got stuck in the middle of this. Hopefully her dad will come to the conclusion that if the stupidest thing she ever does is to get a small tattoo in an inconspicuous place, she is doing pretty well for herself.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:02 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Well Old fashioned Daddy is going to have to control his temper-she is an adult now so he has no right to be upset with her- if the worst thing that your daughter has done in her 18 years of life is get a tattoo then he should be proud of her not angry. She doesn't have to make a big deal out of it, I would just stop hiding it and when he sees it she can say "yeah I got a tattoo-this is what is symbolizes-do you like it?" To which he will obviously say no, then she can just say-thats too bad, because I love it.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Whats done is done. Even if he blows his lid, what can he do? She is grown up now, and needs to just try and break it to him gently. I have a tattoo, and I still was taken aback by my older kids getting them..funny. I really don't like neck tattoos esp on women, but it is her life and her body. He will get over it eventually...not worth losing his relationship with his DD is it?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2010