Do you think seeing a psychologist is a waste of time and money?

I need to get some things off my chest and would like to talk to a neutral person. Have you ever been to therapy? Did you feel it was helpful.

Aquarius80

Asked by Aquarius80 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Health

• I don't think it's a waste of money. I have only been to a hypnotherapist. Although I can't say it was a miracle or anything, it did help me. I think it's like a mind over matter situation, you have to want to be helped and be willing to gain from it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Sometimes you just need someone to talk to someone who will give you an outside perspective and unbiased advice. I don't think theres anything wrong with that. I went to counseling as a teen. I felt good to talk until she started telling me things my stubborn teen ears didn't want to hear so I stopped going. But I'd go again if I felt like it would help.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:07 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It depends, do you feel free to say what you need to say and your consoler is actually listening to the point you can return to their office after awhile and they can ask a question about the last visit? If you have trust and feel comfortable to shed burden upon this person and feel somewhat lighter, not completely better (that does take time) then you are using your money wisely.
    LadyLotus

Answer by LadyLotus at 12:32 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I was in therapy for almost 20 years- so, i really hope it wasn't a waste-LOL! if you find the right one that you really connect with, you will be amazed how much they can help- as long as you are really willing to work on your issues- Good Luck-

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:33 AM on Dec. 1, 2010