SAHM: Doesn't want to return to work, anyone feel this way?

I've been a married stay at home mom for 17 years & have one son who is 17. I've been feeling like I should return to work since son is pretty self sufficient but he is not on his own. The thing is I have no desire to work outside my home. We are a middle class family, the extra income would be nice...but I just don't want to work. Anyone else feel this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• I do
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 12:22 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Is there anything you'd do for fun? It might be nice to ge a fun job (I know, oxymoron). Is yoir husband pressuring you to get a job? If not, and you guys are happy with how things are, then why change things? Also, if you do try a new job, nothing says it's forever. You can quit anytime you like. Maybe some volunteer work would be good, together your feet wet, and it will be more flexible than a paid job. Plus, it's more rewarding. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I figure you have worked enough hours in the past 17 years to qualify for retirement :D

24 hours a day, 365 days a year for 17 years = 148920 hours. Divide that by a standard 40 hour work week, and you have worked 3723 work weeks all condensed down in 17 years. Divide that by 52 weeks a year and your number of years worked equals 71.59.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'm pretty much in the same situation. We could probably use the extra money. Our boys are pretty much grown now. I like being a homemaker, and I know that my husband won't do housework, so I'd be working then coming home and cooking and cleaning the house. My husband likes me home too. If we needed me to go to work I would, but I'm sure happier at home.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:32 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i hate working. my home is my sanctuary its so comforting. i totally understand.
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 12:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'm so glad I'm not alone. I love all of your answers!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:43 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Oh yea I was a stay at home mom for three years. I went back to work for two years part time and hated every second of it. I just got layed off three weeks ago and it is such a blessing. Yea me!!! lol
    MommyTanisha

Answer by MommyTanisha at 12:52 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I haven't been a stay at home Mom as long as you have, but I felt the same way. I now work from home and I love it! Have you ever thought about working from home? I am a stay at home Mommy to my 3 year old son, and 20 month old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Free website, training, and unlimited support!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping MOMS Work from Home since 1999!
    Visit my website:
    www.OurCEOMom.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 1:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I've been home close to nine years. I felt so useless and have kicked around working in some capacity for years but it's tricky. My skills are old now and it's not like I've reinvented them. I've stayed home and raised kids. The idea of accumulating new skills at 40 is overwhelming and foul. But yes, I'd like to work. I work part-time as a caregiver to a lovely old lady who really does need me. It takes little skill but it's meaningful and I make a few extra bucks. The older people actually really need us. My sister decided to do hospice. Both areas are really needed. Just a thought. My ad/TV/Radio background is now OUT! : )
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I feel the same way. I have a 17 year old and a preteen who don't need me (as much) but I just can't see myself going back to work because I'm already extremely busy and we don't need the income. Every once and again, my husband says I might enjoy getting out there and doing something (I'm already out there doing plenty of things like volunteering and going back to school, just not drawing any income from it) . When I call him on it, saying that if I did go back to work, he'd had to pick up the slack or get a cleaning lady, then he changes his tune completely. Quite honestly, he doesn't have any time to devote to the house and kids since he works like crazy and I'm OK with that - as long as I'm home. Past experience has shown that when I was working full-time, I was still doing 100% of the work at home and with the kids. He promises to help but doesn't follow through. No thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Dec. 1, 2010