Does anyone observe St. Nicholas Day?

If you do celebrate it, how?

Growing up, we'd put out letters to Santa out on December 5 and the next morning we'd have a small toy in place of the letters. With my kids they leave their notes and get a small toy and a note back telling them how they can ensure their place on the nice list. I print out the letters so they can't tell it's my handwriting! lol

Mommy22boys

Asked by Mommy22boys at 12:25 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Holidays

• Santa is just pretend like any other cartoon story. We do watch, "Santa Claus is coming to town" and "Rudolph" and "Frosty" etc. They just know the difference though that it's not real. I would never tell our kids there is a Santa coming to bring them presents on Christmas because...
    1- Christmas is Jesus birthday. That's the reason we celebrate.
    2- It's a lie. I don't want to lie to my kids. (Even as a way to have fun)
    3- We spend our hard earned money and don't want to give the credit to anyone else...especially a "made up" someone!
    We tell our kids, "Daddy Clause" is getting them stuff! lol
    We do watch, "Santa Claus is coming to town" and "Rudolph" and "Frosty" etc. They just know the difference though that it's not real.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My family does not
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 12:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• We did when the kids were younger and they still anticipate a card from St Nick while they are away at college.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 1:07 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• carol2m2- Santa is pretend but St. Nicholas was a real person who did all those things we now give Santa credit for. That's also why he has his own day. Many of the traditions from Europe treat St. NIcholas Day as another day to celebrate during the december holidays, much like celebrating Three Kings Day on January 6.
    Mommy22boys

Comment by Mommy22boys (original poster) at 7:27 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I had forgotten about this - thanks for the reminder too cute
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 9:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2010