How can i deal with stealing behavior with my 7 years old?

Hiding things behavior , getting more series with my son , like bring school materials home without the teacher knows. Take things which is not belong to him and when the teacher or me find it he says that he found it on the floor and it is not belong to no one. It start with school materials,toys and sometimes $. I wish if some one had or have this problem give me an advice how to deal with such behavior. Thanks,

Nosa2630

Asked by Nosa2630 at 12:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If it is an ongoing and increasing problem, I would see if you could take him to the sheriff's department to have a talk with a police officer. Sometimes the officers will do this and it really helps for the child to hear what can happen to him from the officer himself. Otherwise, he must be punished by taking away privileges or things he likes. But mostly, talk to him and find out why he is doing this. Talk, talk, talk and don't stop. Let him know your expectations, the repercussions, etc.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:47 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Maybe make him return the items to the original owner and apologize. Face to face. The humiliation might be enough. Be firm and let him know that dishonesty will NOT be tolerated. Good luck, mama!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Great question. I agree that taking him directly to the original owner and walking through the process of "restitution" for beginners. I feel/believe that we must emulate "real world" consequences in as much as we have power. The underlying need to have things is also at issue but that is secondary to the stealing/lying.

You are a good momma and I will be rooting for you.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 12:54 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My son is 5 years old. He had a huge problem with this. He was released from his child care due to stealing. He was caught in Wal-Mart stealing, taking things from school and other children. Taking things from our friends house's and family members house's. My husband and I took him to see a local high school's SRO officer. He spoke to my son and it really made an impact. We also, after catching him stealing in a store made him return the item to the manager and that really helped as well. Eventually and with constant talks and pressure to make good choices he let it go. He is not stealing any more. I feel it was a phase that he went through and maybe most children go through. Just stay on him and love him through it! Good luck!
    KLMC

Answer by KLMC at 1:23 AM on Dec. 1, 2010