Why is labor so different for everyone???

I just want some opinions... Or real answers if you know!
I have a high pain tolerance..I have been told this by doctors...I have broken bones, torn muscles, and dislocated things. I was in labor for many hours I dilated VERY slowly. Any way I ended up getting and epidural even though I had sworn to myself that I was not going to. I never cried or screamed, but I was in horrible pain!! I talk to women though who claim to have very low pain tolerance who had multiple children naturally. So do you think it is pain tolerance.. or is it really just a different amount of pain for each person??? Also why do some women go into the hospital and have their baby 30 mins later and others (like me) Stay for an entire day in pain, waiting.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's AMAZING how different every labor it, even different labors for the same woman! Part of it is just the nature of pregnancy. Some of it is the woman. Much of it is unknown, which is part of why OBs are so freaked out by birth. Birth is such a different thing than anything else you will ever experience, as you know. Pain tolerance has nothing to do with the length of labor. Don't be too hard on yourself for your epidural. Maybe the next time around, your labor will be totally different, and you'll be able to go all natural. Whatever works! At least we have choices now, as far as whether we want pain meds or not. It used to be forced upon women.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:23 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i would have to say, state of mind, physical fitness, baby size and position all play a part. i stubbed my toe yesterday and i swear it was worse than any labor!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Because every person's body is different. That is just nature.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Why does every one look different?

Why are we different heights?

The answer is just because, that is human to be different.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 1:26 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Plus labor is affected by your health and exercising habits.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 1:27 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My two labors where very different and the size of my babies was very different. i was two years older with my second labor. Labor is a very mild word for what it really entales,,lol
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Fear and tension.
    You bring a lot to the table and that has a big impact on what you perceive.
    I don't feel that it's about "pain threshold" nearly as much as it is about who is with you, where you are, and confidence.

Many women have pain-free natural births, not by accident~~

;-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:43 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Aside from the answers already said, other factors include baby size and position, the position of your uterus, the ability of your tissues to stretch freely, the strength of your muscle contractions, a sense of urgency when delivering, and mother comfort level prior to delivery.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 3:43 AM on Dec. 1, 2010