how do i potty train my three year old who wants nothing to do with the commode or potty

nanabob

Asked by nanabob at 2:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried the 3 day method? It might be worth a shot. The earlier you can do it the better, but it's never too late. I have the e-book if you'd like it. It worked really well for us at 25 months.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:11 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• When I potty trained my kids I tool them out to buy underwear and stickers. Then we put a calendar up in the bathroom and everytime they went they got to put a sticker on the calendar. After "X" amount of stickers they got a special treat. We would either go for ice cream or I would make their favorite dinner.

Remember there is not much they can control at this age and going potty is one thing they can control. If you get angry or yell at them for not going they are going to resist even more. Be patient and also try taking them every 20 minutes or so. In my house it was always "we are going to try" and then I would take them into the bath room.

Good Luck and relax a little!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 2:14 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• When my nephew was being potty trained my mom would let him pee off the porch or at whatever animal happened 2 b on the porch at that particular point n time. That workd pretty good til he pee'd on her husbands leg 1 day. I thought that was funny as all get out. Of course when the warm pee hit his leg he let out a yelp which surprised the boy resulting n him turning loose of his pants n midstream & he finished n his pants. We finally got him trained & all was well. Of course n order 2 do that u must live of the beaten path. My oldests daddy potty trained him since they had the same equipment & all. My daughter caught on pretty quick. My youngest is 17 months & I will be going thru this all yet again. Mines just now started walkn good. He's a little cautious about new things & takes his sweet time about everything but he gets it. B patient & let them go at their own pace. Thats about all we can do. Good luck.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 3:22 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• You never know he/she might not be ready for it yet and there's no use in pushing the issue if they aren't. But if he/she does show signs like dry diaper at night you could do what I did with my daughter and let her play in just underwear and although it got messy she knew she hated the feeling and I explained to her that if she felt like she had to go to tell me and we'd go potty and she won't get all wet. I also used things called potty tokens (lamented "coin"-like pieces of paper) and every time she went she would get a token and she would be allowed to put it in a "piggy bank" and she always got so excited. After so many tokens she could cash them in for a coloring book or a special toy. Another thing, she hated the hard plastic potties and the only things she would use was the cushioned ones that fit on the toilet.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I was just recently having the same issue with my 3 year old Daughter. I tried the stickers and chart method and she is doing really well. We actually went from not wanting to use the potty at all to going poop everytime and pee most of the time within like 3 weeks. She still has some accidents like peeing on herself but is doing wayyyy better! Also, we made a play "potty" for her favorite stuffed frog Ribbit and he goes to the potty everytime she does, she loves that- I guess it makes her fell like she is not doing it alone lol
    punkypreggo

Answer by punkypreggo at 3:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• As you must have noticed from the previous answers, potty training girls is easier and faster, I think it's in their nature to want to be clean- they're girls-, they see us do just about everything women do so it just comes natural, I would announce my own desirer to go pee and ask her, would you like to go pee? it would become like a mother-daughter thing, and oh yes, going panty shopping is the best prize, and watching them comparing princess panties...but then there's potty training boys, that's a whole other story, now that really took time and more time, patience and more patience and lots more goodies to celebrate each "dry'" day. Since boys don't really care (at that age) about anything- much less underwear- taking them shopping is not an incentive...I waited till he was 3, got tons of small toys and a few special ones and gave us the whole summer, by the beginning of the school year he was ready! good luck
    AleUro

Answer by AleUro at 6:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I just don't subscribe to the thought of children being ready or not ready - it is the PARENTS and THEIR readiness to be consistent about it that is the issue!! My kids all sat on the potty as soon as they could sit up and not topple over. Getting them used to how it feels is the key to success. If you wait until 3 yrs old - it's foreign to them. You gain NOTHING by waiting this long to begin unless you own stock in Huggies. The baby I babysit is only 4 mos old, but she has always hated wet and poopy diapers and will yell to have it taken off, so since I have her 5 days and nights a week, I told her mom I will start as soon as she can sit up and not topple over. She said "GO FOR IT" and I totally see this one being trained fully by her 1st b-day because of her hatred for wet/poopy diapers! Get him on the toilet!! Bring his books and toys in there and camp out til he goes.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:01 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You have to wait until the child shows interest in the potty. If the child has no interest your never going to get them to use it. With my daughter she came to the point where she hated being wet. I simply said to her " if you use the potty you wont need to wear diapers anymore and you wont get all yucky and wet" It took 5 days to train her fully pee and poop. When she would pee i would let her have 3 smarties (candy) When she pooped she could have a whole roll of the smarties. This worked like a charm.. She also got stickers and got to put them on this big poster bored that i decorated and hug above her potty chair..
    MoylanMommie2

Answer by MoylanMommie2 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I disagree with the last comment. I do believe that the kid will go potty all the time when they are ready. I am sure this mom has not waited until 3 years old to try out the potty. I had been trying since my daughter was about 1 1/2. She did so good at first and I thought it was gonna be that easy but it wasnt. She started refusing to go potty at all around 2 and would make it as complicated as possible. But, I kept trying and it didnt seem like nothing was working. She just turned 3 not long ago and if you read my previous post, she is doing WAY better and we are almost there. So yea, I think kids will start going when they are ready. But of course, we need to encourage them and be supportive. And remember, all kids are different.
    punkypreggo

Answer by punkypreggo at 7:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010