How can I get my four year old(she just turn 4 on Nov. 10) to sleep through the night in her room?

I'm tired of having my four year old daughter coming over in the middle of the night to sleep in our bed. It gets pretty uncomfortable to sleep with her. It has become an habit. My husband and I have tried everything, we redecorated her room completely, got a new bed, and just got a tent on top of her bed, and still nothing works. This is very frustrating, any comments, ideas, tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• consistancy. it takes a bit of patience and time. but by putting her back in her bed over and over and over again gently explaining that big girls sleep in thier own bed . you have to literally never cave. never bee too tired to take her to her own room again. but in the end it will work .
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 5:07 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I agree with the poster above consistancy but we also had a persistant 3yo (now she is 4) We made a big horrah about taking her to buildabear workshop and told her she got to make her a bedtime buddy. Someone who protects her through the night and will be there no matter what . She wouldn't be alone in her bed. Building it let her have a chance at making exactly what and who she wanted to be by herside. Letting her choose a buddy at a regular store but just make a big deal about it and build her confidence that she can stay in her bed.

I hope you both get good sleep soon! :)
    JesF419

Answer by JesF419 at 9:07 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Wish I knew :(
    MommyTanisha

Answer by MommyTanisha at 11:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My daughter does the same thing on and off. She will be five in April. I'll tell you what has worked for us: When I put her to bed I get her really excited about something we are doing the next day like going to the library or Nana's house or baking cookies. Something simple that I can live up to. But, I tell her if she doesn't stay in her bed and sleep like a big girl she misses out on said activity. Sometimes she still gets up once or twice but I remind her & she gets excited again and goes back to bed. She also likes that she has a snow globe that winds up and plays a tune as she falls asleep. Every kid responds different & most go through this same phase. Good luck!
    McErin48

Answer by McErin48 at 12:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I just broke my daughter out of this habbit whom by the way is going to be 5 in may. When i tuck her in at night i simply say, I love you and I trust that you will be a big girl tonight and stay in your own bed. I fill a cup of milk and leave it in the fridge. She knows if she wakes up she can go get it and go lay back down. To ease her into this process i would make a bed on my bedroom floor and tell her that if she needed to she could come sleep on my floor but she couldnt come in my bed anymore because she is such a big girl and mommys bed is just too small for her daddy and myself.. She came in for about a week and eventually she just stopped.. Knowing that the option was there helped her to feel more comfortable in her own insecurities.
    MoylanMommie2

Answer by MoylanMommie2 at 7:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Keep putting her back, say time for bed and put her back. It may take you 234553422 times in one night, but if you keep putting her back she will get there.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Thank you Mommies for your answers. I think that definitely consistency will take me there, and hopefully my daughter won't take a bizillion years to get that she needs to sleep on her own grown up bed. =)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2010