When is lieing acceptable?

My 9 yr old step son lies alot about little things usually and today about his grades. I am always on him about lieing, his rude behavior and lazziness. My husband (his dad) says the little things are ok not to punish him for it but to me lieing is lieing. What do i do?

Mrs.Norris

Asked by Mrs.Norris at 4:14 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I completely agree with you Lieing is lieing little lie or big lie a lie is a lie. Your hubby/his father should back you up on this and see where your coming from. Nothing bothers me more then a lier. I can't stand story tellers. Your child is young he needs to learn that any lie is a lie.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Lying is lying, regardless of why.

He shouldn't be punished harshly, but he should definitely be punished firmly. It will teach him. However, expect him to slip up, try not to put a punishment like, not going on a school trip or sporting event as a punishment for lying. Try something like, no TV for the rest of the night or if it's late in the day, the next night! DO IT EVERY TIME.

Hope it helps!
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 4:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• there is NO reason for a 9 year old to lie, and to lie and be allowed to get away with it. it sets up a pattern of behaviour that will worse NOT better. i would look in to WHY your 9 year old feels he has to lie about things.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 5:03 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Little lies are not ok and they lead to big lies. Your hubby needs to step it up in the dad department and take care of this issue before it blows up in his face. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Yeah I would tell this child I can not trust you. I have to double check everything you say. My daughter went through this. It lasted a week when I did not believe any thing she said.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• In my mind their is no such thing as a small lie, a lie is a lie. Especially at that age there is nothing that they should be lying about. My daughter is 10 and I've always told her that it is never ok for her to lie, and whenever she has tried to lie to me she was punished and we had a long talk about why it was wrong for her to lie.
    JennMmomof1

Answer by JennMmomof1 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2010