Can anyone give me advice on signs of autism??

my 3 year old we think is autistic and were in the process of changing our insurance so we can get him tested. but some things that he does is he always has to have his sneakers on, he doesnt speak in sentences but he does say pop, dad and mom, he always has to have his hood up on his jacket, and if things arent where he put them he gets very upset.

preciousangel88

Asked by preciousangel88 at 5:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would check out some of the autism websites online http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/learnsigns.php the thing is autism comes in a million ways shapes and forms. no two children in the spectrum are the same. delays in speech, inflexible to change, intolerant to schedule changes, pattern/repetative behaviours , unusual play with toys instead of creative play more like liining them up a certain way hour upon hour and if they get moved then total breakdown. I would ssay that your gut knows there is a developmental issue going on. wether its an auctism spectrum disorder or not only an experienced Dr in the field can diagnose for sure and typically most parents get 2-3 seperate diagnosis before looking in to therapy etc. huggles momma
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 5:20 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• when we first started noticing something wrong thats the first site i looked at. and in the town where i grew up they have an autism building that helps people in the surrounding county with treatment as long as they are on the spectrum but the person we talked to said it looks like he could be on the milder form of it. and reading about the changes and schedule changes they are horrible with him. hell line up cars in a row and if anyone even his 1 year old brother moves them he freaks out. and his temper tantrums are beyond controllable. he will sit there and throw everything in site, hell take his shoes off and throw them hell bang his head against the wall.
    preciousangel88

Comment by preciousangel88 (original poster) at 5:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• the good news is it DOES get better. if he is in the spectrum with therapy there is a lot of hope for behavioural changes away from some of the negative ones you see now. it takes a lot of time andpatience though. and sometimes you will feel like it is all for nothing. you will want to give up and then BAM some great stride forward willl occur for your child. you are not alone.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 5:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i know it will get better but what would be easier on me was if my mom 100% new something was wrong with him instead of just i guess doubting my feeling and seeing. but i guess its because she doesnt see him often she cant see the difference in him. and as long as i have my husband and his family there to support me time and patience wont be a problem for me. and i know im not alone i just need to get out and find other people that have autistic children so my son knows hes not alone in it.
    preciousangel88

Comment by preciousangel88 (original poster) at 5:43 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I just wanted you to know that other moms on cafemom share concerns like yours . at your child's age he doesnt yet realize that he is any different from any other child his age. my son is only just starting to realize this year, he is 7. our children for all thier outbursts and melt downs are some of the happiest children in the world. they know no other way to be. if that makes sense. often thier issues are more concerning to US than any amount they ever bother our special kds
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 6:16 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Go to www.childbrain.com....there is an online test that will give you a quick score after answering a few questions and putting in your childs age...

Its sort of hard to find on the site...so click on all of their choices to find it......

It is in NO WAY a perfect diagnostic test...but it will give you an idea and also a list of symptoms.....

My dd is 5.5 and has mild aspergers :) She is so very special and smart....neat kid :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Just looked for you .....click on the left where it says PDD...(pervasive developmental delay) includes autism

Then go to number 6...then it will show a bullet that says PDD...click on it....

:)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:07 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• What you're describing does not mean autism. It may be autism, and you'll find out when he is evaluated by a professional. But those things that you mentioned? Those are things that are experienced by autistic and non-autistic children, for various reasons, for various lengths of time, and to various degrees. It does not mean he's autistic.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 9:45 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Does he interact with you, smile, respond to you, or stare off in space. Does he walk or run on his toes? Does he seem overly sensitive to senses, light, sound etc? Just take him in and have him checked. Don't borrow trouble just yet.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:18 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i took the assessment and got a score of 138 or moderate PDD. and he will sometimes interact with me depending on the mood hes in sometimes he wont listen to his name and go on doing what hes doing. he runs on his toes alot during a temper tantrum but im not sure if he runs on them all the time. hes scared of the vaccuum cleaner and car horns and while in the car the window either has to be up or down depending on what he wants it to be
    preciousangel88

Comment by preciousangel88 (original poster) at 2:19 AM on Dec. 2, 2010