Attitude Discipline

Recently two responders suggested stripping the room as punishment for poor attitude. Removing almost everything and making the child earn back belongings. Has anyone done this? How did it work? Was it successful short or long term?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 6:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• It worked and it was long term. At that stage my child was doing things to test me. I had threatened and had to act when she challenged me. It was hard being a mom and your child sleeping on the floor (it was carpet and she had plenty of blankets), but she had to learn who was the boss.  She still gets snippy at times, but she now knows I won't back down.   

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 6:43 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• No tv no cell phone until you fix your funky attitude!!!!!
    yumyum33

Answer by yumyum33 at 7:37 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I didn't take the beds but I've taken all the toys, movies, video games, the TV, no phone and given out only one set of clothes until that one was turned in for another. It works great. Now when I make a request it is done. It is super hard to be firm though and it's like prison for you as much as prison for them because of all the extra supervision. Without something to do like extra chores, if kids are bored, they will find trouble.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 8:11 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• CIO = cry it out
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Thankfully, we have not had to go to that extreme with our kids. We have removed all electronics from DD11's room because of a bad attitude, but really what helps her be a better kid is visiting a friend who has a 3 year old little brother. I think she can appreciate the peace in her own life so much more after that. lol

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• As long as they have a bed bathroom accessibility food and drink then it is legal to take it away and alot of parents do that luckily I'm not at that age yet but my cousins mom threatened to do that and had a cop tell my cousin that she couldnt call child services on her for it she straightened up real quick
    Rockabye

Answer by Rockabye at 12:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I don't think my children can ever be bad enough to where I would remove their bed. That just seems cruel to me and this coming from a firm CIO believer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• CIO?
    tootoobusy

Comment by tootoobusy (original poster) at 7:19 AM on Dec. 1, 2010