Your Baby Can Read

Anyone ever used this? Called about it before and it was like $400. Bed Bath & Beyond has it for $99.99 right now. Is it worth the money, or just wishful thinking?

badgirl44654

Asked by badgirl44654 at 6:24 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The Today Show did a segment on this program a few weeks ago and the experts, along with some parents that bought it said it was bogus.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:32 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• These types of programs haven't been proven to help kids in the long run. I think they're a waste of money.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:28 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• DO NOT do it. Let your toddler be a toddler. Kids learn the best by PLAYING not memorizing flashcards. I think this program is a bunch of bull used to scam parents out of money. Parents that are overachieiving and want their kids to be overachieving. Your toddler will have plenty of time to learn how to read, when it is the appropriate time. The BEST way to encourage your child to read is to read to them everyday. Pointing to the words and pronouncing the words correctly.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:45 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• DO NOT waste your money on it. its rote learning, see a picture respond. see a set of letters respond. its not reading. its just recognize and give the learned response. it absolutely does NOT teach a baby to read.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 7:00 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• walmart has it for 69 but then you have to keep buying all the other dvds. you get the basics and thenbuy here and there the rest. i think it doesn't work. i don't want my toddler to read yet. she is only little once. what is the rush.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:06 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Personally, I wouldn't spend that much money on something like that when I've heard a lot of mixed reviews. I think reading books and practicing drawing are enough in general. Maybe using flash cards and a few reading focused children's videos when they're ready too. If it's just teaching them memorization (I'm not very familiar with the program, so I don't know what techniques they use), you could probably even make your own cards with words and pictures to help them memorize words and associate words with pictures for a lot less money. We also have alphabet puzzle pieces that we use to build words together, and I also teach him the sounds the letters make when we say the letter names. When he gets a little older, I'm going to check with my friend who's a kindergarten teacher to see if she has any other tips, but she said he's doing pretty well for a 2 year when she last saw him.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have it and dd loves it. Not really sure if its teaching her to read but she does have a very advanced vocabulary and knows every body part and can sing all the songs that are on the dvds. (She cant sing all the words but she sings the words she knows the whole way through like twinkle twinkle little star twinkle twinkle litle star.... lol) but we also do a lot of reading and singing and play the where is______ game alot so that might be more what it is
    Rockabye

Answer by Rockabye at 12:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Dont waist your time, or money. I received this as a gift. OMG! for how much it is, you would think they would make it more attracting to the kids. It looks like someone just took a regular video camera and did voice overs on it and then edited on the computer. RIP OFF! my kids 1, 2 and 5 didnt even make it threw the 1st video and they started wanting to do something else. Its boring.
    blessed.mommy

Answer by blessed.mommy at 12:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2010